Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Docs Thesaurus and More Live  (View post)

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, September 11, 2008
15 years ago3,592 views

In the Dutch version the 'Look up' options are not available. Only the 'search on the web' options.

Touan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

doesn't regonize other languages and characters. Until google fixes it and/or add more encyclopedias in other languages it not use.

Drazick [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

They also added RTL support in the English UI of gmail and enabled Gmail 2 on many more languages.

quet [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

The dictionary look up is fine. But it could use a "back" button if you click on different words when viewing definitions. Also, the speaker function opens a new window to hear the spoken word – why open a new window just to have to close it every time? Just speak the word and be done with it.

The thesaurus is ok, but just listing word choices is a little limited. I would prefer to see a brief definition of each word as you select it. Also, I don't really like the list box approach for the selections. I would prefer to view them all at once in as a set of comma separated words instead. That way, you don't have to scroll through a small list box – annoying.

The encyclopedia is just plain annoying. Britannica, really? Why not Wikipedia or at least a site that doesn't ask you to sign up for a "Free Trial" every time you look up something – come on already. People will tire of that very quickly. At least show a summary within the look up window instead of flipping you over to their website only to have a trial offer pop up in your face.

Personally, I'm a big fan or The Free Dictionary (www.tfd.com). It also has a thesaurus and encyclopedia and all kinds of useful info. Why not just team up with them? It would probably be cheaper too.

Interesting to note that the "definition" link when you do a regular define: search on the main Google home page links to Answers.com, yet, they chose Merriam-Webster for this definition look up feature.

Also, they need to have all these look up options on the context menu when right clicking on a word – and a shortcut key would be even faster. Its not intuitive to go off to the Tools menu, down to 'Look up a word', and then to look up in dictionary, etc.

Its a good start, but I think the ease of use can be improved and please get rid of Britannica already – there are other 'free' alternatives that are just as good. So I will continue to use TFD's encyclopedia or Wikipedia instead.

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Grow up people! You know Wikipedia is not a valid source in academca. As this is Google's back-to-school update, it makes perfect sense to opt for Britannica.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!