Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Chrome] Private datafiles/cookies shared

Prabhakaran [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, October 14, 2008
15 years ago3,120 views

Hi, i have recently downloaded Google chrome and was excited to use it.

I navigated few of the sites with and without tabs and as multiple browser sessions as well.

One thing i found is, when i use the first tab to login to a site, and if i open a tab and launch the same site, it is sharing the cookies and considering me as logged in user. Since it is tab, i took it as same behavior as of IE.

But i have opened a fresh chrome browser and launched the same site, but it is still taking me to the logged in page instead of to the login page.

This sounds like the private datafiles/cookies are shared.

I read through some doc of google chrome mentioned as every tab / browser is considered as separate processes but why allowing to share same private data/cookie files. This is ok if multiple tabs are doing this, but new browser is also behaving in the same manner.

The firefox/mozhilla became bit unpopular than IE because of this reason.

Can the google team will look into this?

cheers
prabhakaran
v.prabhakaran[put at-character here]accenture.com

wonder [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

Each tab should be its own sandbox. That is weird...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Presumably cookies are not shared when using the private browsing facility.

Otherwise, it makes sense to use the same cookies. Who wants to log in again just because they choose to open a page in a new window?

The Google team doesn't need to "look into this" because it's sure to be a deliberate design decision.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I guess Google's comic can trigger misunderstandings when they claim that a sandboxed process would have "no effect on your machine and no effect on other processes" – many of us would understand this doesn't refer to cookies or the browser cache or the history, which will be saved more permanently, but perhaps this is where the misunderstanding comes from:
http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/27

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!