Google Blogoscoped

Forum

G1 Phone Reviewed  (View post)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Friday, October 17, 2008
15 years ago3,814 views

(Edit: Moved the side note in regards to my old HTC phone from last paragraph to first.)

hey [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Yeah, really cool that there will probably soon be some hack to have a keyboard on screen (be it official or not)

krist0ph3r [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

i'm using the o2 xda zinc, with windows mobile 6 pro...not a very up-to-date model by any stretch, but the usability isn't bad in either mode. i use it with the keyboard out or in, and it works great either way. if what you're saying is true (never seen/used a g1 myself) maybe google needs to look at streamlining the ui a bit and making things like sending an email more accessible.

btw i don't know how a touch screen can be faster than a keyboard – unless the ui is very badly designed. wm6 pro is excellent in that regard. in fact i consider it almost as usable as a symbian/nokia phone, only exception being the configuration (especially anything related to connectivity)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<<...almost as usable as a
Symbian/nokia phone...>>

Isn't symbian known for being hard to use? :/

k10 [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Just thought I'd put this out there. I have a sidekick which I do love and I just ordered the G1 but I think it will just be a nice upgrade to the sidekick.

George Hegarty [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

That is BS when he says a touch keyboard is faster than a querty keyboard. There is no way a touchscreen could be nearly that fast (or accurate).
I had a sidekick 2 and then ugraded to the iphone. Even with almost a year of experience typing with a touchscreen it still is conserderably slower than a full qwerty.
I would take an iphone user with the sidekick anyday.

I'm happy to say i will be leaving my iphone and picking up the g1 once my contract is up

15 years ago #

In regards to Google's homepage link to the G1 site ("New! The G1 phones are available now. Learn more."), InformationWeek writes:

<<If you count Firefox as a quasi-commercial product – it is distributed by the for-profit Mozilla Corp., a subsidiary of the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation – the T-Mobile G1, manufactured by HTC, appears to be the first commercial product to be promoted on the Google home page.

But that's not how Google sees it. For Google, the G1 is not a third-party product. "We see T-Mobile's G1 as a Google product since our platform is embedded on the phone, and we promote Google products on our home page when we feel it's useful for users," a Google spokesperson explained via e-mail.>>
http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211300575

15 years ago #

Another interesting review of the G1 at Boing Boing's gadgets section:

<<So why don't I love the G1?

It's ugly, for one. Call me shallow if you must, but I'd call myself human: we respond to physical elegance in people and in objects and the G1 is a lumpen, crooked, creaking slab. (...) And the ugliness extends into the operating system itself, which at a minimum needs to update its icon set. The colorful, rounded icon have never been Google's most attractive corporate hallmark, but at least on the web they indicated a down-to-businessness that had a certain charm. On the phone, however, they just look chintzy.

Its keyboard is adequate. But the inclusion of a secondary system of navigation — not the keyboard, but the scroll ball and the four buttons surrounding it — make for a schizophrenic user experience.>>
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/10/23/review-a-few-days-wi-1.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!