Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Can't turn off GMail phishing protection

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, October 23, 2008
15 years ago3,374 views

I got an email that appears to be like any other from a subscription of mine. It was in my spam folder and GMail said it was also a phishing attack. I took it out of the spam folder, and reported it not a phishing attack (although i can't be sure because Google won't show me where the hyperlinks actually point to) but that still didn't remove the warning or enable images and links in the message. Is this an appropriate level of protection from Google?

KB [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Yes, you can always copy and paste the links manually if you want to visit the suspected site.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Right...but a phishing message would display the link as one URL and have it actually point to another. Or, it might not even display the url, and simply hyperlink some text or an image, etc.

KB [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

And? When you copy it manually you see where the URL goes to.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Like i said, gmail doesn't show where the link points to. It disables links. The IS not way to copy it. Have you ever even looked at a message in your spam folder?

KB [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Gmail shows it if you click on "show original".

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Sorry to be so rude-- i guess i got too confident. I also haven't slept in two days although i'm sicker than i have been in a long time, so please forgive me. Anyways, showing the original message displays html somewhat garbled. Periods become "=2E"
Why is this?

Also, shouldn't Google allow me to see the message normally if i have marked it as not a phishing attack or is this a necessary measure of protection?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!