Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Web Clips: Mixing RSS with Ads  (View post)

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

Friday, December 9, 2005
18 years ago

I either unsubscribe, or scrape, clean and republish to myself, rss feeds that have advertisements. So, no thanks, Google.

Joe LaPenna [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think that the ads look different enough that I'm not tricked into clicking on them, additionally, I never ever look at the right hand side ads, and find value in seeing them in web clips.

Andy Couch [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Is this really Google advertisting or could it be an ad inserted into a feed? RSS Advertisting is becoming more and more popular these days.

John K [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

These web clips have been around for a long time in Gmail. I complained about them back in April:
http://gotads.blogspot.com/2005/04/web-clips-in-gmail.html

(I mistakenly thought you could turn off web clips. That would be a nice option!)

For a while, I had stopped getting the contextual ads on the right side, which I actually like. But now those are back too.

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Did you try turning of the web clips under settings > web clips? It works for me.

Patrick Hathway [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

> (I mistakenly thought you could turn off web clips. That
> would be a nice option!)

You CAN turn them off now, even though you couldn't in the past! (check the 'web clips' settings within Gmail)...

So if you don't like the feature or seeing the new ads, just disable it!

Mystified Gmail user [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Is this feature available to all? Because Gmail help page pointing to "web clip" returns empty. Also, I do not see any tab called "Web clip" under settings.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Searching help for clips does indeed return results. I just had to stay logged in for a while before the interface updated.

John K [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Thank you Patrick! I just turned them off...

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I use web clips to keep track of only the top stories at CNN and the NY Times. So far it has been helpful- I learned about a big storm heading my way that I wouldn't have heard about until tommorrow.

I saw one ad so far. It was for about (if I remeber correctly) organizing a club around Oprah's book selections. And what was the email I was in about? Oprah's Book Club, of course. I'm totally fine with that type of advertising.

Why I hate Google! [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

This is exactly why i hate google. Find out more how evil google really is on http://www.whyihategoogle.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!