Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How To Program Google Android  (View post)

Mike Thompson [PersonRank 0]

Monday, December 15, 2008
15 years ago8,117 views

Many thanks for this. I've got your book, and now my G1. I look forward to
   being a developer again :-)

LiveCrunch [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Thanks mate! Appreciate this quick tutorial!!!

Michael Martin [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Giving away by the end of today FREE access to Mark Murphy's "The Busy Coders Guide to Android Development" – http://www.googleandblog.com/free-busy-coders-guide-to-android-development/3285/

,Michael Martin
Google And Blog

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

(Thanks Reto, my copy of the book arrived yesterday.)

This is not one of these books that's padded out with loads of screenshots. It's solid but readable prose with lots of code. It's obvious all the way through that Reto is really enthusiastic about the platform. I don't have an Android phone yet, so I'm restricted to the SDK.

Steve Sal [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

When I run this code in eclipse with the SDK I downloaded a couple days ago I get a NullPointerException in Dalvik. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm running the latest SDK using Eclipse 3.4.1 on Ubuntu intrepid with all updates applied.

Here are the details:

<unknown>
WAMF [Android Application]
DalvikVM[localhost:8616]
Thread [<3> main] (Suspended (exception NullPointerException))
ViewRoot.draw(boolean) line: 992
ViewRoot.performTraversals() line: 829
ViewRoot.handleMessage(Message) line: 1103
ViewRoot(Handler).dispatchMessage(Message) line: 88
Looper.loop() line: 123
ActivityThread.main(String[]) line: 3742
Method.invokeNative(Object, Object[], Class, Class[], Class, int, boolean) line: not available [native method]
Method.invoke(Object, Object...) line: 515
ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run() line: 739
ZygoteInit.main(String[]) line: 497
NativeStart.main(String[]) line: not available [native method]
Thread [<13> Binder Thread #2] (Running)
Thread [<11> Binder Thread #1] (Running)
Thread [<15> Thread-8] (Running)
Thread [<17> Thread-9] (Running)
Thread [<19> Binder Thread #3] (Running)
Daemon Thread [<21> RefQueueWorker[put at-character here]org.apache.http.impl.conn.tsccm.ConnPoolByRoute[put at-character here]43425820] (Running)
Thread [<25> Thread-14] (Running)

Steve Sal [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

bump. Anyone know what is going on here? The exception is not thrown inside code I have access to (not in WAMF). In eclipse it says that the source is not available which make sense since it looks like it is crashing inside Dalvik. Is this a bug in the SDK? I googled around for similar bugs and didn't find any except in older versions of the SDK.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Hi Steve,
   Did you download the 'finished' source code from the Google Code project, or did you follow the tutorial? If the later, it might be worth downloading the 'working' source to check if it's a problem with your setup or the code you're running.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!