Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Wishlist for 2009  (View post)

brinke guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Friday, December 26, 2008
15 years ago47,000 views

Just one: restore old gmail address, please.
[I'd get greedy and ask for GDrive, but, yeah, right.]

Above comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

gcu [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

GrandCentral is awesome, but for it to really serve as one's sole contact number, it must accept SMS and pass them on to the user. New Gmail Chat SMS functionality makes this seem plausibly imminent...

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/147637.html#id147996

[put at-character here]David S.

<<Also, I would like the ability to search undergrad, graduate and post-doc degrees. Maybe this service is already available. If so please point me in the right direction>>

I realise this probably won't help you out, but the Irish Government has what you envision implemented, albeit only for Irish degrees at http://www.cao.ie/courses.php . I would Imagine, based on this, that most other countries have a similar system, though one centralized place to search would be cool :)

Rachel James [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I wish you could save My Maps to be accessible offline. So I can just save to a laptop or my smart phone and pull it back up on the go without net access. And numbered icons so I don't have to add a custom icon URL for each one... yesh. This would be so simple, and make me so happy!!

Al Danks [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Contact management to include being able to selectively share contacts and contact groups that include non-company contacts in Education version of Google Apps.

Sekar [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

One more thing I would like to see is to have Gmail expose chat logs through IMAP; it would make my life a lot simpler.

Kareem Sabri [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Nice and simple, I mostly just want the existing products to be fixed.

Better help/explanations for what the various numbers mean on Analytics

Analytics Adobe Air app to actually work (won't even download for many people)

Google Apps to allow you to upload ANY filetype. In fact, Google Apps should expand into a collaboration tool like Basecamp, isn't that the whole point of the web? If I can't share fully I may as well use iWork.

ReadAir to also actually work (never marks what you've read as read)

Chrome for OS X

Don't even worry about new products, clean up the existing ones. Google Apps, one of the rare paid services, is virtually unused for me with the exception of getting Google to host my business' email. It also seems either pretty buggy or just a bad user experience. I would like to see Google products in general become more elegant in their UI and appearance.

Brian Mulligan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

1. Offline Gmail.
2. Project management system integrated into Calendar (Don't buy Remember the Milk – it needs to be a little more heavyweight – not much – team members – more sophisticated reminder settings – no need to login to update – ie. access codes hidden in links in emails)

Martin Barrett [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

1. Produce a decent sync app between Google Calendar and the iPhone's internal calendar. (The existing mobile interface is simply too difficult to use.)

2. Produce an even better method for supporting Google Calendar on Android, so as to lure people away from the iPhone and its clumsy touchscreen.

Jimmy Clay [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

1. Mind Maps. There are some pretty good ones out there already, but I don't trust them to stay in business and they do not integrate well with iGoogle. I would like to be able to work with using an iGoogle gadget. This will make it easier to use them while at work.

2. In iGoogle I would like an option to put the tabs back on the top, not on the side.

3. A Gmail reader. At work all my online emails are blocked, so I can't see them at work. Meaning if I try to log into the Gmail website, I'll get a big message saying I can't go there. It would be great if there was a Gmail reader that won't let me compose messages or send messages, but perhaps just read the messages. It could be an iGoogle gadget.

4. A Gmail viewer. The one thing a really, really miss when using the Gmail website is being able to click on a message and then the message in a view screen. Maybe that's just me, but I do miss it.

5. Thank you. You guys at Google do a great job. Sure there's stuff I'd like to have, but I still give Google five stars. Thanks.

Jimmy Clay [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

6. The ability to backup and restore data. I have a ton of information on Google Notebook. I'd feel better if I could backup everything to my hard drive. Or if there was an easier way to export it. Or best of all if I could sync it to OneNote.

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Call me for the 4th time. :)

wonder [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

Controlled invisibility in gchat. Most people do not want to appear invisible to everyone on their contact list but to one person or a selected group of people.

nedeem [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

1. Google Apps Web Hosting
2. Email client for Windows and Linux supporting synchronization with mobile phones
3. Google Talk supporting multiple gmail and google apps accounts
4. Google Talk for mobile phones
5. Range of Google Apps smart client spplications for Windows and Linux that could work in offline mode
6. Google ERP with CRM and accounting
7. Google OS
8. Porting Android to work on major mobile phone architectures
9. Google Desktop should take less resources and have more settings
10. Google Maps needs more detailed maps of Bosnia and Croatia

I wish I could one day work for Google. Good luck in 2009.!

Vacilando [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

* Gears allowing off-line Gmail and Calendar
* Huge Google storage that you can map as a local drive on any desktop
* Allow PHP in Google Apps

GiWY [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I'd wish from Google for 2009...
... that they'd close down their service and their company too... xD

[signature removed & name edited ~ hebbet]

Tin Kramberger [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Push for Gmail.

interglossa@gmail.com [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I would like google to pull together igoogle and all the other fragments of their idea of OpenSocial and tutorialize it to show how they think we are supposed to use it instead of facebook, which people are sort of getting dragged into because the alternatives are too amorphous and time-consuming to decipher.

Speculoze [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Google should buy ZOHO.... a merge between google apps and zoho would definitively be a killer.

There's tons of features there that i'd like to see in google apps. What I'd like to see the most from them is a database & report tool, and a project management application.

regger [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I would like to be able to create a filter for a specific email address, have it be labeled but have have an option for it to not show up in the inbox. One of the useful functions of filters is pushing the management of the emails on to the filter. By making it mandatory to actually archive the email it sort of defeats the purpose of the filter in a way, or at the very least robs it of it true potential power. In my Premium Yahoo account, I have almost 50 filters that I use to have certain emails sent to multiple folders so I don't have to spend time dealing with in my inbox. It saves so much effort in having to otherwise manage the emails. I think it could be added as an optional rule when you're creating the filter.

Disposable addresses email addresses would be nice as well, so you can hack off the email when you start receiving spam from it. Yahoo lets you choose the prefix of the email, then you add the specific name after it when you create it. Something like: spamcatcher-dell[put at-character here]yahoo.com or spamcatcher-proflowers[put at-character here]yahoo.com etc etc. It works out quite well.

Just a few things I've been thinking about since making the switch from Yahoo.

T [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

1. something we hadn't thought of... just do the unimaginable
2. more google apps in Linux (chrome, gtalk, gpinyin for chinese users struggling with a crude input method)
3. sms service for all over the world

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]regger

<<Disposable addresses email addresses would be nice as well, so you can hack off the email when you start receiving spam from it.>>

Gmail has this! Add anything after you address separated with a plus or minus. For example, my address is xuanjames[put at-character here]gmail.com, and if i signed up to ebay.com I give them the address xuanjames+ebay[put at-character here]gmail.com so if I get span from that address I know ebay has been selling my info :D

<<I would like to be able to create a filter for a specific email address, have it be labeled but have have an option for it to not show up in the inbox>>

This can also be done. In settings, look under Filters, here you can select "skip inbox" and it will do what you require :D

Hope I helped

Marcin Jekot [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

A Wiki style Notepad, which is gears enabled.

If you've ever worked with tomboy on linux (a sticky notes kind of application, but it allows you to link between notes Wiki style), this is essentially what I'm asking for – except a version which works with gears, so you can use it online and offline.

Also, it would be great to have a Google ToDo list which integrates seamlessly with Calendar and Gmail.

Dave [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Tighter security for google accounts (not just an alphanumeric password, but something else perhaps??)

G Drive – not Google docs upload (which changes the format of word docs etc) but an actual drive for storing stuff

Sat Navs with google maps

Ivaylo Ivanov [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

1. Official Google wish list – everyone can post Ideas, requests... and a big team in their Lab answer to every single one of them. why, when, how much...
2. Android for TV – all the power of Android platform put in a very cheap hardware in every new TV. For 50 $ you can turn your big LCD TV into a low end PC, which with all the Google's online services will meet 90 % of your daily activities.

Prasad Sistla [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

with lots of new features and Android phone in India,

Brian Mulligan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Out-skype, skype. PC based video conferencing.

Google Talk is moving that way but needs to be more powerful. They have bought Maratech quite a while back. I'm wondering what they are planning to do with it.

Mohmd Fthy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I hope Google will lunch official Arabic blog

Panduranga, Bangalore [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Wish google email services comes with email client like Thunderbird / Outlook.

deepikaur [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Something to compete with SongBird.

Since pretty much all of Google's products somehow integrate with the Search, I'd like to see how they integrate a "gPlayer" (Google Media Player?) into search.

Digit-8.com [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I wish higher PR :)

william W. [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Uhm i wish for 2009 that google uhm makes a
1. G Drive is a great thing could be a webdrive on your computer ^^
2. Google for NDS **
3. Google theme parks
4. Google domain service / like something.google.com
5. a Google Operating System

^^

James Wetzel [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

A fully integrated central Google interface that doesn't have you click to links for other Google Apps but rather having it all in one central place, like igoogle is for little applets but instead for all the services Google has to offer. This way you have a central control and you can send an email, post an appointment and check the weather from all one page.

James Wetzel [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Also a system that hosts open classes, supported by Google, so that teachers wanting to teach a certain subject can do so easily teaching to people who subscribe to the class making it so that every student is actually engaged into whatever they are learning because they chose to do so. Over time the student would receive a type of Google Credits that would add up in their profile displaying what classes they have taken and etc. This would quench people's thirst for knowledge on a global basis since it would be hosted over the internet and also make it easily accessible to everyone.

Steve W [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Two applications and I would be done with Microsoft:

1 – A database application similar to MS/Access

2 – A project Management Tool similar to MS/Project

RuleMaker [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

[Moved from "Google Wish List" – Tony]

GTalk client for linux (with voice chat ability)
Chrome for linux

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!