Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google iPhone App Easter Egg

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Friday, January 2, 2009
15 years ago3,708 views

Via Tuaw | http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/02/google-iphone-app-is-the-gift-that-keeps-on-giving/

<<To get there, just keep scrolling down below the 'about' button. If you keep at it, the previously hidden 'Bells and Whistles' button will appear, giving you these additional options:

*Different theme colors to change the look of the app

*Changes to the sounds the app uses, including monkeys and chickens

*The addition of a live waveform when you are speaking – kind of like an oscilloscope

*The option to open links in the app itself rather than transferring to Safari>>

Sound cool, eh? :D

Mel Martin goes on to say
<<Google is hinting there may be even more hidden functions, but they are going to wait until Macworld to identify them.>>

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I wonder if Apple even knew this was here when they approved the app to go in the App Store. Do they approve the app functionality or the source code?

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Good catch man, maybe I'm crazy but it seems like there are new functions in the GUI with these features enabled? Either way, I like red!!!!

15 years ago #

I'm not sure, but I know that Steve Jobs is not a fan of easter eggs!

I'm sure Google would have to disclose this information though, as otherwise it could be seen as hiding information about their app, or even making it a suspicious app in the eyes of Apple, I mean, if someone else was hiding stuff in their apps, wouldn't you be freaked out?

Of course, it is Google, and they aren't doing anything malicious, so I doubt anything will come of this anyway because;

A. They have probably disclosed said information to Apple.
B. If they didn't, Apple won't make a big deal and get more bad press.
C. The Google/Apple relationshit is healthy, so they probably don't care :)

15 years ago #

The above comment was a response to Tony

<<Good catch man, maybe I'm crazy but it seems like there are new functions in the GUI with these features enabled?>>

Yes, I haven't used an iPhone/iPod touch in a while since I sold mine about a month ago, but the "theme colors to change the look of the app" is something really cool, and that I haven't seen in any other app I've used.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that with all the extra sounds and images and code that was hidden, didn't someone realize how big the app was for what it was presumed only to do? :P

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

video here:
http://searchengineland.com/activate-the-bells-and-whistles-on-googles-iphone-mobile-app-15988

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'd like to know how many times you have to scroll up and down to activate this feature?

Kind of reminds me of:http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=how%20many%20licks%20does%20it%20take%20to%20get%20to%20the%20center&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS278US278&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv#

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

For me, I just kept pushing my screen up. I tried about 3 times and nothing happened so I probably ended up doing it about 15-20 times, but I wasn't really paying attention so it may have appeared after 10 or so...

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Wow, it worked in my iPod Touch, just had to scroll fast a couple of times.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!