Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How to *really* contact Gmail support

Ricardo Sánchez [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, January 20, 2009
15 years ago5,591 views

Hello,

I would like to contact Gmail support regarding an issue with dots in my username, but I have been in the support pages for ages and didn't find a way to meaningful contact them. I don't want to write the Google Groups but rather ask the team.

My issue is that a registered an username without dots (eg. 'foobar') but I have the reply-to address set to 'foo.bar', and give the foo.bar[put at-character here]gmail.com address to everybody.

Gmail says that using the desired address in the reply-to address is enough, and that dots or lack of thereof should not cause problems.

However, my setup is not as simple, I have 'foobar' emails redirected to a second Gmail account (eg. 'second'), and I answer all email from this email account. I have the foo.bar address setup there, so Gmail automatically selects the correct 'from' address corresponding to the delivered-to address, either second[put at-character here]gmail.com or foo.bar[put at-character here]gmail.com, so if people send email to those two address there are no problems.

However, this is causing me problems with Google Groups, because I want Groups to deliver mail to foo.bar[put at-character here]gmail.com, but I did not manage to accomplish it. Messages get delivered to foobar[put at-character here]gmail.com instead, without the dot, so when I reply Groups' mails from the 'second' account, the 'foo.bar[put at-character here]gmail.com' from address is not detected, and defaults to 'second[put at-character here]gmail.com'.

Hope my explanation wasn't too messy to follow.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think there would be no point contacting Gmail support about this, because they would simply tell you that Gmail addresses are not designed to work the way you want, when used like that.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Have you tried the new Google Groups?
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/search?hl=en&q=gmail+help+forum

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!