Google Blogoscoped

Forum

WhiteHouse.Gov Using Creative Commons License

Chuck [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, January 22, 2009
15 years ago3,449 views

I was on WhiteHouse.gov today, and I noticed that WhiteHouse.Gov is under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. I think that is so cool.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/copyright/

By the way, heres what the Constitution says about copyright:

Article I, Section 8, Clause 8:
"To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Actually, WhiteHouse.gov is using a public domain license, you can use all of its original content in any way, including commercially. The Creative Commons license they use now is for third-party content.

Here is the full text from the site:

<<Pursuant to federal law, government-produced materials appearing on this site are not copyright protected. The United States Government may receive and hold copyrights transferred to it by assignment, bequest, or otherwise.

Except where otherwise noted, third-party content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. Visitors to this website agree to grant a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license to the rest of the world for their submissions to Whitehouse.gov under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.>>

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!