Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google account, less security?

GWatch [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, February 5, 2009
15 years ago2,895 views

I found Google account is still accessible even if you closed web browser.

see more at [rhineblog.com/2009/02/google-account-is-still-accessible-after-closing-web-browser.html]

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

During my testing, it would only do this if you had more than one browser window open. You have to close them all to kill your session, which I think is reasonable.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

That's why it's a good idea to sign out before closing the browser, especially on a public computer.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

although-- i was just thinking with the release of this friend view / google latitude thing

so much more private information is stored in google accounts that they are becoming more and more valuable but the level of security is staying the same. isn't this a problem?

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

All public workstations should be configured to delete browsing history, cookies, cache etc. automatically when closing browser (I'm talking about FF3.x...)

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Technically it is posible for Google to detect if a window/tab is closed and logout if every window/tab is closed.

What would be handy if you could set an extra level of security on some labels. So you would have to re-enter your password if you want to read those e-mails.

And Google could auto-detect e-mails which are dangerous like password-reset e-mails.

If someone would crab my computer he/she has access to all my accounts on the internet, my domains, profiles, private picasa albums, everything.

I do not think i am really that important that anyone would want to do something like that, and i don't have any enemies....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!