Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Likaholix Wants to Know What You Like  (View post)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, March 5, 2009
15 years ago4,250 views

I've not read any help or watched the tour but I've found it pretty difficult to navigate so far. From the home page, there's no obvious way to view my account details, add friends, view friends' profiles, etc. Once I click "My Likes" I get all those links but scattered all over the page.

Also, I'm struggling to understand how it will be able to recommend relevant things to me even if I was to list absolutely everything that I like. That's such a wide variety of topics that I wouldn't even know where to start. Right now, I've got fewer than 5 likes so I'm apparently not getting any meaningful recommendations. But spending time entering things I like isn't something that I feel worthwhile unless I know what I'm going to get out of it. By contrast, Last.fm happily scrobbles any music I listen to and makes recommendations effortlessly.

Right now, I'm not completely convinced that I need this service. When I first used FriendFeed, I immediately saw its value, potential and usefulness to me. Likaholix seems to be much less useful for me but perhaps it's too early to tell. Although I'm not sure how much time I've got for it to convince me otherwise...

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

From what I just read without visisting that web site, this is a typical case to presenting the implementation model directly to the user interfaces.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> I've not read any help or watched the tour but I've found
> it pretty difficult to navigate so far.

I remember how Friendfeed evolved with you. Instead of throwing every feature right on the page (and in retrospect, I guess you can't really separate usability from the problems with the loose layout), they started with an incredibly simple stream-of-links page, and every feature that was introduced later on could be learned on its time, and was then put into the appropriate design "basket" (rooms to the left in the gray bar where you can ignore them if you wish, etc.).

http://blogoscoped.com/files/likaholix-page.png

Bindu Reddy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Good feedback on some of this stuff. We will definitely improve this over time. A lot of stuff got thrown in the last minute which makes some of this very very busy.

Andy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I always enjoy learning how other people employ Amazon S3 and CloudFront. I am wondering if you can check out my very own tool CloudBerry Explorer that helps

to manage S3 and CloudFront. It is a freeware. [cloudberrylab.com]

gcu [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

What this service may offer over last.fm's recommendations: Likaholix (or any general recommender) could combine information about all kinds of stuff that you like to generate new, unexpected recommendations.

It could pull your Netflix ratings, last.fm listening habits, and Amazon reviews together. The availability of such data is probably why now is the time for a general collaborative filter to work.

Likaholix might want to build in the possibility of going beyond the binary [Like|No opinion] choices, even if such capability is not accessible to the user yet.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!