Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Daniel Brandt on Google/ DoubleClick Tracking  (View post)

Dirk Gomez [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, March 25, 2009
15 years ago5,140 views

What about using this hosts file:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Helps to cut down on unwanted advertising a lot!

Cookie Lee [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

Well, if you don't like it, visit http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/ and click on the opt-out button should solve the problem...

Nemanja [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

This kind of tracking is used for some time by many companies. Google is at least open about it.

Just disable third part cookies and you should be safe from google and all others.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Big Google is tracking you.

Libran Lover [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

Please help me understand this. If a Doubleclick cookie is stored on my computer, will it track ALL the web pages I visit, including the web pages which do not have any Adsense or Doubleclick ads?

For example, if I visit a web page that has Adsense and later on, I visit a webpage which has no Google ads, will Google track the second website also?

George R [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

This discussion was started at another thread.
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/152213.html#id152282

Someone named Daniel Brandt posted a comment there.
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/152213.html#id152286

Michael Martinez [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Google required AdSense advertisers to update our Privacy Policy notices to tell people how to opt out of the tracking system.

I'm of two minds about this evolution in service. If it helps them server better ads on my sites, then I'm for it. If it means I have to let Google look over my shoulder more, I'm against it.

For now I'm allowing inaction to be my reaction.

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

15 years ago #

To be honest, Daniel Brandt has a long history of scaremongering. I think any of his information and suggestions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Jack Hynes: Agreed. Philipp's post fails to give context to Brandt's accusation.
Are there any *reputable* sources on this?

George R [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Philipp did not include Brandt's entire editorial. Its next papagraph is important.

"The biggest issue that ought to evolve out of this latest development is the issue of opt-in vs. opt-out. This new tracking should be opt-in, but Google is falling all over itself to make sure it stays opt-out. My guess is that opt-in might allow tracking of less than two percent of the activity that the current opt-out system will allow. How many people even know what a cookie is? What percentage know how to configure the cookie options on their browsers? If they delete their cookies just one time after opting out, will they remember that they also deleted their opt-out cookie, and that Google's tracking now resumes?"

The whole thing can be found at scroogle.
http://www.scroogle.org/adsense.html

Daniel Brandt [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

Philipp has a history of setting me up for attacks on his comment page. He puts my name in the title of his posts, so that it shows up on page one in a search for my name. He knows that Google juices up this fanboy site, just as Google juices up the insignificant google-watch-watch.org site by Chris Beasley, which has been in the top five hits in a Google search for my name for nearly six years now. Aaron Wall did this with my name on his sites also, back in the days when he was more pro-Google. Philipp's role in asking Jimbo Wales to restore my biography helped spark a three-year battle between me and Wikipedia, which I finally won.

What matters for Philipp and other Google fanboys is the juice. What doesn't matter to them are the social issues that are raised by Google's dominance, or by Wikipedia's pathetic treatment of biographies of living people.

By now I'm used to this. What really counts is what privacy activists and government regulators in the U.S. and Europe think about Google. On that front, progress has been made. In 2003 I nominated Google for a Big Brother award, which is sponsored annually by Privacy International in London. I asked Google-Watch readers to do the same thing, causing Privacy International to get hundreds of nominations for Google. I was later told by them that they thought a script kiddie was at work, because they had never seen anything like it. They completely discounted all of these nominations since there were nearly zero Google critics in 2003. But today Simon Davies, the director of Privacy International, is the most visible critic of Google, and today regulators in the European Union look at Google more closely. Tomorrow it will be regulators in the U.S. doing the same thing.

There is more going on in the world than one would suspect from the public relations and ranking juice generated by Google.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

My mistake, I forgot that all critics of Mr Brandt are sycophantic Google fanboys.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!