Google Blogoscoped

Forum

gmail uploader

oberson [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, April 5, 2009
15 years ago4,029 views

I have a regular gmail account. I use a mac. when i am in drafts, I see a red arrow. mac tells me that i have embedded objects, and when i clicked on it, it said this:

mail.google.com/mail/uploader/uploaderapi2.swf

what is this? can anyone tell me, using simple clear non computer person language? has my email got something in it I didnt put there? or is it part of the gmail system?
thanks. O

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

When you attach a file to your email, behind the scenes Gmail uses a hidden Adobe Flash applet to perform the task of handling this action.

What you are seeing is precisely this applet. Your browser is notifying you about it either because you don't have the Adobe Flash technology installed on your computer, so the applet can not be loaded, or you just configured your browser to notify you about applets embedded on websites.

The conclusion is:
1. You don't have to worry, that's perfectly normal.
2. You might check if you have Adobre Flash installed.
3. If you still don't want Gmail to use the Flash applet you can go to your Gmail settings and check the "Basic attachment features" option. Note that you will loose advanced attachment features, like progress bar and an ability to attach multiple files at a time.

oberson [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

thank you for the information, Ludwik T. I did not attach a file to my email, however. I was just composing an email. It was still in draft form. There are, however, other attachments in my gmail box. Maybe this is it....Normally there is just a message saying there is a swf thingy embedded....I wish to learn more. Pardon my lack of technical language.
thanks again.

KMB [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

Just install Adobe Flash Player. 99 % of all browsers has it installed.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!