Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Anticipated Search / Google Home Page: How ?

Need Help [PersonRank 1]

Monday, April 13, 2009
15 years ago2,751 views

Hello,

My name is X, and I have a question that I would seriously appreciate any kind of answer to.

When I am to search my name "X" on the homepage of Google, "X Y" comes up as an anticipated search. This is seriously problematic for me as I do not wish to be associated with this content any further, the content that previously attached me to "Y." Was wondering how that was compiled / how it could be disabled / change.

Simply, this search "X Y" is no longer relevant as "Y" does not exist as an entity anymore, it is worthless and as a such a huge distraction. Certainly, over time, this could change as the irrelevancy becomes more and more unclear, would just like to know when & how.

Thank You,

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

X, are you still active online, i.e. is there a chance your newer activity could over time move down references to your older "Y"?

Need Help [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I would like to think so, yes.

How accurate do you believe this perception is, since when has it been compiling information to base it on, and how exactly does it compile this.

Thanks for your response Philipp...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Google suggests popular queries that start with the characters you've typed. The data is updated frequently, so "X Y" will disappear from the list of suggestions when it will no longer be popular or when other searches that start with X become popular

http://labs.google.com/suggestfaq.html

Need Help [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

How often do you feel this will recompile. I couldn't imagine many people at all googling this information? Could I repeatedly search other queries that start with my name in an attempt to erase it? Is that "against the rules." Is it possible that simple my repeated "X Y" searches could have yielded this "X -> Y" suggestion?

How many "searches" must happen for it to be "relevant." Suppose it is all relative...

Thanks again,

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

You can find some information about your search from http://www.google.com/insights/search/ (searches related to X, locations where they're popular, their relative popularity, interest over time).

I don't think you can influence the list of suggestions by repeatedly searching for X Z.

Need Help [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I've looked it up; it seems generally very unpopular. X, my name.

~ 50 in the UK
~ 15 in the US

exactly what do these figures refer to?

And further no "related searches" are listed.

Strange,

Need Help [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Basically zero search volume,

Will it simply disappear over time? Must it be competed with by another query. Or will it stay forever, in addition to any other queries that may or may not gain popularity.

Interesting...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!