Google Blogoscoped

Forum

So How do you search Google?

Victor Prince [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, June 17, 2009
14 years ago3,184 views

Okay, I admit it I am trying to find out the best key word to use for a search on Google.
So say your AC goes out sometime during the night. If you are a guy you probably look at the wife and say honey can you get someone out here to take a look at the AC? Or if you are Women you call someone your self. Or if you are not married you call someone your self how do I know all this? I am the guy who takes the calls. Anyway you are sitting in front of the computer at work, and not a phone book in site so you say I will just Google it! So fill in the search box for me please….
Scenario number two same as above, but this time it’s the fridge fill in the search box please… Thank you for Your help, and all the best to you in your endeavors.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

This is one of the searches which I'll usually not do in Google. Instead, here in Germany I go to the yellow pages site (gelbeseiten.de). They're not the highest usability, but you can enter a keyword – along the lines of "bicycle repair service" – and your post code, and they'll return the addresses and phone numbers of the nearest matches.

As an alternative when I'm looking for a number, I might also call the ... what's the English word? We call it "Auskunft" (the number you dial when you're looking for a number).

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp: In English-English the word is "Directory Enquiries". In American-English it's "Directory Assistance", "Information", or "411".

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

411 in Ireland and the UK is "118" Like in Ireland 11850 or in the UK 118118

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

What about Google Maps?

que [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Just type "AC repair" or "appliance repair" plus your zip code or city and the local business results will appear or go to Google Maps and do the same thing for expanded results.

For business owner's, there is a reporting dashboard to help you setup and profile your company so Google will better match queries for your services, etc. There is a link with video on the main Google Maps page describing this feature.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?utm_source=dashboardwho&utm_medium=mapshpp&utm_campaign=en&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Flocal%2Fadd%2FbusinessCenter%3Fgl%3DUS%26hl%3Den-US%26service%3Dlbc%26hl%3Den-US%26gl%3DUS&service=lbc&hl=en-US&gl=US

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!