Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Would you kill Knol?

Jérome Flipo [PersonRank 1]

Friday, July 10, 2009
14 years ago2,666 views

When a Googler's bio is considered a "featured" article, it may be time to give up.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1683/98498168.png

Murry Shohat [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I agree that bios should not be featured. I've been featured and it does not feel right. However, you are criticizing a cold, impassiveness algorithm, not a policy.

I work every day to convince the architects at Knol to change the behavior of their algorithms. In addition to featuring bios, the Top Author algorithm dishes up authors on Knol's landing page whose body of work has been blocked (usually due to plagiarism) or has very low quality. That's embarrassing for Google. How odd that they don't fix it! Definitely a math anomaly that some code engineer can fix with a subroutine.

Yv. [PersonRank 7]

14 years ago #

From Holland the homepage is even worse.
Two featured 'articles' that only link spam (e.g. car insurance) :
A large empty space under 'new'
Only two authors.

http://yvoschaap.com/knol.png

(while the Dutch wikipedia is the 6th language)

Narayana Rao KVSS [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

NO.

Google knol positioned itself as serious knowledge article repository. It is built up by individual authors and therefore there can be wide variations in quality. But there are many highly qualified persons writing on knol and many others will follow them. Low quality content can always be highlighted. The utility of the platform is based on the high quality content that is able to generate and knol has generated significant amount of high quality content.

Low quality content will not be visible unless it pertains to some very specific search words. It will not appear in directories and knol lists as these lists now specify some minimum number of page views. I am developing a knol directory of interesting knols where the norm generally is 500 page views.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!