Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Remove Prophet Pictures]

[Mohammed Abdullah] [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, July 19, 2009
14 years ago3,362 views

I would like to bring to all that there is no picture/image available of prophet mohammed or any other prophet(prophet jesus,Moses,Abraham etc to name a few),as Islam strictly forbids images,which might lead to image worship etc.
I request on behalf of all the people concerned about the religious sentiments and especially on muslims behalf to Google/Wiki managers to remove all the images of Prophet Mohammed as it deeply hurts our sentiments to depict him in such a way,even if its in glorifying way.
Hopeful of getting something done to remove/delete these images immediately.

[All-upper case adjusted to mixed case.]

Mary-Ann Horley [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

What like this one? http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/190224.php

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Luck, I'm not trying to annoy anyone, but other people are free to do what they want. If you don't like it you can oppose it, that is your right to free speech – but a drawing or picture by someone else is them expressing their right to free speech.

In addition, if someone is not a muslim, or does not follow muslim ideals, why should they be bound by Islamic teachings?

MZaza [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Not to be bounded by Islamic teachings, but respect the feelings of Muslims toward such images.

Using your right to free speech shouldn't lead you to insult other people, if we take for example the cartoons which were published in Denmark.

I think, not matter if they believe it or not, people should respect other people believes.

atheist [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Moustafa,

If the wizard in the sky has a problem with me insulting him, he can take it up with me when I’m dead.

Here's some cartoons of the "prophet" who married a 6 year old and had sex with her when she was age 9.

[farm1.static.flickr.com/56/106096282_8276d346e8_o.jpg]

David [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Then respect our belief in freedom of speech and human rights that we have in Europe, both muslims and others. Most of the muslims here do not agree with you.

There isn’t a single verse in the Koran that explicitly prohibits images of Mohammed—or of Allah, or God, for that matter. And the prophet Mohammed has been depicted in art frequently in Islamic art, without reprisals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

This whole thread seems to be getting way off topic (which is OK with freedom of speech, but it's against the forum rules: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/rules.php5) – the original post had at least a little bit to do with Google, but what followed not so much anymore.

MZaza [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Atheist, If a friend sees your mom in a different way, for example if he sees her as a slut and draw a cartoon of her naked and getting involved physically with someone, you may consider that as his right of free speech to express his thoughts about your mom or even consider it a piece of art. While I see it as an insult. And that's the point whatever you think about something or someone you should try to express it without insulting him.

[put at-character here]David, You're right their is nothing in Quran which prohibits drawing a picture of prophets or Allah. But prophet Mohammed prohibited it because he was afraid that later people would start worshiping images instead of Allah. But about un-appropriate images of prophets or Gods, this doesn't need a verse in Quran to prohibit it, I think it's clear enough.

Philipp I know you may now block me or delete this post, I'm sorry for that and I understand, but the point of my reply to Atheist which is insulting and un-appropriate reply is to show him how sometimes freedom in speech without respect can hurt others. I didn't mean to insult his mom I just wanted him to feel the feeling others may feel if you express your thoughts in an un-appropriate and insulting way as I did.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!