Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Nielsen: Bing in challenge to Google

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, September 17, 2009
14 years ago3,649 views

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article6837577.ece

<<Microsoft’s Bing search engine is emerging as a challenger to the dominance of Google after capturing a near-11 per cent share of the market in little more than three months.

The latest statistics from Nielsen, the research firm, show that Bing, which went live in June, is now the fastest-growing internet search engine in the United States. Its market share leapt to 10.7 per cent in August, from 9 per cent in July — a rise of more than 22 per cent.>>

[Edited to include snippet, which makes it easier to get an idea of the article before clicking through (it also helps should the original article ever disappear or become reg-only). -Philipp]

Franta H. [PersonRank 6]

14 years ago #

According to StatCounter (http://gs.statcounter.com/#search_engine-US-monthly-200905-200909) Bing's share declined in September.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Franta, isn't Nielsen more respected though?

I definitely think Bing is a formidable competitor (and use it quite often), but isn't it too early to call it a challenge to Google?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

...Especially considering the fact that Google's total marketshare didn't decline...meaning Bing's gain is at Yahoo's expense.

And for those arguing that Google's growth has 'stalled' or anything along those lines, remember law of diminishing returns ;)

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp: Thanks for editing and adding the snippet. My contributions are done with mobile browser during last weeks and copy/paste is not so easy with those browsers. I have added a text later if possible.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!