Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Function to Translate Google Spreadsheet Cells  (View post)

ahab [PersonRank 5]

Friday, October 2, 2009
14 years ago3,785 views

DetectLanguage is not always functioning properly, especially when the sentence is very short, (try e.g. the string "Hallo", which one would think to be quite ambiguous).
Also the function is not very well documented, especially as to what the result "und" means [ which I got when I tested =DetectLanguage("Παρασκευή 2 Οκτωβρίου 2009")]; however a test to discover which language is associated with the locale set for a spreadsheet does work:
=DetectLanguage(TEXT(NOW() , "EEEE d, MMMM yyyy G, QQQQ, hh:mm:ss a"))

Chris Gnut [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

This is an interesting development when users need to translate excel sheet items. This would not help people like me that own a website (Drupal, Wordpress, etc.) and need all domestic content automatically translated for visitors in order to leverage indexes and page ranking in search engines to boost my global traffic.

There are different solutions (I am very satisfied with www.nativetung.com)that accomplish this. Nonetheless, nice to see more attention being placed on going global by these companies.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!