Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Personalized Google/ Dell Homepage  (View post)

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, January 7, 2006
18 years ago

Someone is going to throw a chair now :D... This is huge, google is really doing a lot of politics lately. Google is fighting Microsoft in so many different fronts:

War of the desktop:
   – Firefox, Opera vs IE
   – OOo vs Office
   – Talk vs Messenger
   – Desktop vs Search Toolbar
   – Picassa vs Vista
   -Toolbar vs Toolbar

War of the web:
   – Search vs Search
   – GMail vs Hotmail
   – Video vs Video
   – Maps vs Local Live
   – Personalized Home vs Msn
   – News vs MSNBC, Newsbot

But maybe Ms is only collateral damage to google, i don't really know.

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

There's also a customized page for the clients of Current (a company that offers internet access using the power line. More info at http://www.current.net/). You can see that page at http://www.google.com/ig/current

ummm... maybe the next step will be a Firefox Custom Page instead of the current Firefox Start Page?

Peter Topping [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It's all very well having Google and Dell give us their home page but how do you get rid or it? I have tried all the usual including trying to block it out with SpywareBlaster but it keeps coming back!!! any suggestions?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Throw your Dell away and buy a nice HP ;-)

TEST!!!!!!!! [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Go to google.com/ig/dell

type in college L0AN consolidation.....hit the top 4 links......see what happens!!! AMAZING!!!

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

besides Google getting ad money, I don't see what your excited about

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Googler Alert! :0

No offense to the other known Googlers.

rbudj [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

This is how to get rid of it....

Their is some type of "lock" on the home page setting. I'm sure this is something added by Dell into their Windows distro...

Boot your computer in safe mode...usually F8 at startup. Change the home page while in safe mode and reboot normally. Your new home page will stay changed, however, it is still locked so if you want to change it again in the future, you will have to do it again through safe mode.

rbudj

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!