Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Meta] Top sources

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 11, 2009
14 years ago4,616 views

http://blogoscoped.com/credits/

There's a unlabeled section, and an all-time section. The unlabeled one doesn't say over what period of time, or when it was last updated.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It's going 1 year back and is real-time, but let me investigate, there seems to be something going wrong at the moment – for instance, your name should appear! Will get back here on this.

14 years ago #

It's much improved now. The new algo makes two changes, which causes a new top list (and also puts you in the top 10). To explain, the tool simply goes over all posts, checking things like [Thanks ...]. In the new version:
1. names are now treated case-insensitive (so DPic counts against the same counter as Dpic would)
2. the credit order is now not important anymore (the old algo did not support multi-crediting)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Minor bug... all links now point to:
http://www.google.com/search?q=DPic&btnI=1

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Haha, yeah that should probably be fixed =]

Also, could you label it as being over the past year?

14 years ago #

Ooops, fixed now! (It took a wrong value to construct that search query due to a variable misnaming, a value filled elsewhere from looping through all posts in chronological order... hence DPic because he's credited in the newest post!)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

oh I am still on the "ALL Time"- high at Number#8!!

I got to reactive myself in this forum!!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Could you add a label to the mystery section indicating the numbers are over the past year?

14 years ago #

DPic, I'll ponder that, thanks! Perhaps there's also a way to optimize that list by getting rid of the two sub lists, merging them into one where all-time and recent-time are both evaluated into the same list (with appropriate weighting), thus simplifying the interface and not raising the question of time periods...

14 years ago #

The Top Sources page has now been updated:
http://blogoscoped.com/credits/

The basic idea is that this is now a single list taking into account all time, but weighting the last year much more. The list is dynamically generated so it can change with any new post. Algorithm subject to change in the future :)

(Please note this is nothing super scientific or anything... for instance, I sometimes credit "James" instead of writing "James Xuan" and I did not merge all names like that in the list (only some)...)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

oh no i've been demoted three places! but that's absolutely acceptable considering this now factors in all time =]

Thanks! philipp!

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Philipp it will be very gr8 if u also put how many articles each member contribute . i mean in earlier version i use to see a numbers in bracket like i m source of 8 articles. it will be Kool if u again put numbers again .

(english is my 2nd launguage so plz dont mind for my wrong english :)

14 years ago #

BizAbh, I'll consider it. I left out the number this time because I think it would invite a question: "Why is Person X before Person Y even though Person Y has more more posts?"...
As the number of posts is now given more weight for more recent activity, a list like the following would be possible:
1. Frank (10)
2. Susan (14)
3. Peter (6)
etc....

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Very Good, thnx :)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Sweet, BizAbh finally has an icon-- he needed one!

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

:)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!