Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Various

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, January 14, 2006
18 years ago

1) Where did the G Calendar rumour go?
2) Where's the GBrowser? I am sick of IE and FF just doesn't render good enough for me.
3) DId you know, the Gmail Notifier download appears to have DISappeared from the download page. http://www.google.com/downloads/
I had to reinstall the notifier cause whenever I clicked on a mailto link, my Dell did a BIG freakout. This fixed it.
3) When will AOL AIM talk with GTalk?
4) How can we get a decent Google Screensaver- morphing between logos?
5) That 'Gallery/HD Images' thing is WEAK. How did that EVER sneak in?
6) How did RealPlayer sneak in except being anti-MSFT? I have edited tons of digital audio and it ALways sounded mushier and hissier with Real. Windows Media---clear as a bell.
7) How long before you can recycle and reuse a previous Gmail name? RRRRR.

Alles O.K., das ist für jetzt. Bis später. =bg=

Nanaki [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

1) It'll come, Google is slow.
2) Never gonna happen. Unless we can expect some super breed between Opera and Firefox.
3) http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/index?promo=gdl-en. Probably because not all people have Gmail.
3) GTalk will communicate with AOL, I don't know about anything backwards.
4) Oi?
5) Because Google Pack sucks, and Google will do everything in its power to make it suck more.
6) Ditto.
7) After an account of mine expired after 6 months, I could immediately use the name again.

Idiot [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

6) Although I do hate real player I can see why they did it. Real player is required for many things, eg BBC content. The point of the Google Pack (it seems to me) is to make it easy for people who aren't very computer literate to install everything they need (like a PDF reader). And obviously windows media player comes with windows so people can use that for most things. I'd have preferred them using Real Alternative though.

Nanaki [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

I don't think Real Alternative is legal.

Anyway, RealPlayer isn't good for "newbies". Winamp is. It may not be the best video player per se, it's easy.

orli yakuel [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

<5) That 'Gallery/HD Images' thing is WEAK. How did that EVER sneak in?>

Have to agree on that! you can't even call it a Gallery – it's not! just a bunch of pictures that i can seek for my self inside Google..

18 years ago #

i think the point of google pack is to have one central spot where essential software can be had. fair enough. but an AVERAGE USER won't know it's there. my mom thinks Yahoo = The Internet. Me: "Is your internet connection working?" Her: "Oh yes, I have Yahoo!" Me: "Go to this google site, and everything you need is there." Her: "But I have Yahoo." An endless loop.

The advanced user, IE anyone who knows this site exists, already knows whambam where to go to get stuff. If I got a new Dell (which won't happen. my wife and I both have major issues on our PCs)--I would have the essential stuff on it inside 15 minutes.

Eric [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The point of Google Pack is that its a package manager which they can negotiate with Dell or whoever to pre-install on user systems. It gives Google an "in" onto users systems, and more importantly, the default settings – as you can be sure that Microsoft will do everything in their power to drive users away from Google with Vista.

orli yakuel [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

I Think some times Google is rushing to show and reveal their new Services
and it comes on the account of the quality of that services.

Skawouter [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Most google services are still in beta (they allmost never get out of beta too) so why judge a service that's not finished yet?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Skawouter, do I sense irony? :)

Lohengrin [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) The rumors are still lingering, I think it'll be announced in a few months. Pretty sure they could launch it sooner but they'd want to wait with it for a while, maybe since they're making an all in one online Contact/Calendar/Mail interface.

2) I don't think we'll see this one, ever.

18 years ago #

i dont know why,. if the goal is to 'organize all the info,' then why not have a browser that aids in that goal? IM..email..desktop..whats the weak link? what is missing for the typical user experience? that's right.....the browser.

Just not an FF fan, much as I have tried. renders sights too weird.

me [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

6. You know why windows media sounds better than real? Because Windows Media installs their own codecs to make everything else sound worse and convince everyone to switch over to wma. Check your codecs for mp3's; you'll probably see a micro$oft one at the top.
I do agree, though, that winamp is a better media player than reaplayer, but I'm not sure if it supports realmedia format.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!