Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How Google Knows That A Site is Forum?

mcbc [PersonRank 1]

Monday, June 28, 2010
14 years ago27,561 views

hey google gurus. I have a question.

I want to create a forum for my community. (Actually, I own one). I have customized Wordpress CMS to act as forum. I had tried other options like phpBB & then choose Wordpress because of its simplicity and SEO.

But, Google has not indexed my site as a forum. I mean to say it is not appearing like a forum appears in search results. (You must have noticed special formatting for forums in SERP) – it appears as a website/blog.

I want to know that how google detects that a website is forum. I have already emulated the wordpress to look like a forum – like threads etc.

do I need to use some other trick??

Any help will b much appreciated!

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Interesting question.

A good clue would be if each page consists of posts identified as being by different people, each associated with a username and date. Another good clue would be to use the word "forum" prominently in the page title or top headings. Using the word "reply" would be another good clue.

But I have no idea what Google actually does.

I have a site that uses WordPress but is not really a blog. I've been wondering how to get Google to classify it as a website rather than as a blog.

mcbc [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Thanks Roger for your reply.

1> yes, the wordpress comment metadata section includes date & time -and also users' names.

2> I have already change "comment" to "reply"

3> Using Forum in the forum's title (OK blog's title)

4> removed generator tag from the head section.

:(

Motti [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I've always assumed they only treat sites as forums if they use one of the well-known forum frameworks such as PhpBB or VBulletin. I doubt they look for keywords such as forum or deep analysis such as what Roger suggested.

Anyone find examples of web forums indexed as google "discussions" that aren't in this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Internet_forum_software?

Motti [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Has anyone noticed that stackoverflow.com appears to be getting special treatment in the SERPS?

When a stackoverflow.com result is listed, the result now includes the number of "answers" (instead of "posts" as for any other group/discussion/forum) and mentions if it's "solved".

I haven't checked if this is true for, say, serverfault.com but I'm not seeing similar metadata for Yahoo answers.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!