Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google SEO question

Jimmy [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, September 22, 2010
13 years ago16,609 views

I've noticed lately some strange results in Google. Sites that rank high for no apparent reason. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to why.

An example is a search for Observation Towers.
http://www.google.com/search?q=observation+towers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The site in question is younger-bros.com.

1. This site does not contain the term in the title bar.
2. This site has a page rank of 2.
3. This site has no inbound links.
4. The site's keyword meta tag is in my opinion spammy.
5. Neither the keyword or description tag contain the term.
6. The term does appear on the page 3 times, but the page is not about Observation Towers. There is a small section that is.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this particular website would be awarded 1st page results in Google?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I think it's because of the image whose filename includes the term "observation tower" and whose alt-text also includes that term.

At quezi.com we get a lot of Google traffic for search terms that appear in our image file names.

Jimmy [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Thanks Roger,

1st page for one image and alt tag tho? There are many other websites listed on page 2 and 3 that are a more relevant result for that search. There's got to be more to it than one image and alt tag text (which is fairly long btw) to attain a 1st page result.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

For what it's worth, this result is on the second page when I query google.com from the UK.

Only Google knows, of course, but the image filename and alt-tag theory fits my experience.

Without even trying to SEO one of my pages, I found it (for a while) on the first page of the results for "credit card", and you know how competitive that term is. All I could imagine was that it was due to the image credit-card.jpg with its associated alt-text and caption which both included the words "credit card". Just as with your case, the words "credit card" did not feature prominently on the page as a whole.

rudefox.com [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

Website has a few strong backlinks.

Jimmy [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Thanks.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!