Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google News Adds Most Popular, Recommended  (View post)

alek [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, January 21, 2006
18 years ago

Philipp,

VERY cool ... yea, will be interesting to see how the "wisdom of the masses" plays out in picking the most popular storries ... although per your post above about Google versus Government, even the "reputable" news sources get it wrong.

alek

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

my page doesn't show "Recommended" but it does have "popular"

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mine doesn't either. It could be becuase we don't have enough saved news history to generate the recommended section, much like if you don't have enough search history you can't get the personalised search results.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Update: You need to activate the Personalized Search history to see the “Recommended” category. Log in to your Google Account, go to Google.com, click on “Search History”, and in your settings (the yellow box on top) click “Resume.”

Nanaki [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

They're running out of colours. :)

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

on my google page i can not see recommended ... maybe it's disabled

18 years ago #

Chris, did you enable the Personalized Search history?

Karl Prigge [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

"In a certain way, it's digg for Google News."

Having used both the "popular" and "recommended" sections of google news, I'd say it's more like "reddit for Google News" – to my knowledge, digg has neither the "recommended" section nor the diversity of topics (only tech) that http://reddit.com has.

18 years ago #

Karl, what I meant was that the Google News "Recommended" section looks at what stories people like, and the most popular ones turn up on top. In that way, it's a similar "social voting" behavior like on digg. Of course, it's by far not *exactly* the same. E.g. you don't really vote on Google News, because following a link is not a vote, etc.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!