Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube: Longer videos allowed

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, December 9, 2010
13 years ago9,667 views

<<Your creativity isn’t bound by a time limit, so why should your video uploads be? Back in July we raised the upload limit to 15 minutes for all users. Starting today, we’ll begin allowing selected users with a history of complying with the YouTube Community Guidelines and our copyright rules to upload videos that are longer than 15 minutes.>>

I have it to,
http://www.websonic.nl/nieuws/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/youtube_upload.jpg

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/12/up-up-and-away-long-videos-for-more.html

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

The screenshot posted by Websonic says in one place "Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes" but in another place it says "Videos can be ... Up to 15 minutes in length".

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Haha, yes noticed that too..... :-)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

It's strange that they don't say exactly how long. Maybe it's like gmail's ever increasing size, except it varies from user to user based on how well they get along with copyright bullshit

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

So let me see. Copyright infringement is OK under 15 minutes, but not above?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> Your creativity isn’t bound by a time limit, so why
> should your video uploads be?

Well YouTube, you tell me! You once disabled longer videos yourself... in the beginning it was possible already on your site!

> Copyright infringement is OK under 15 minutes, but not above?

I guess the idea is that you can't just upload full movies, perhaps one typical case of what they think of as infringing. It's still completely imperfect, of course... I can have longer content that I fully own, and in return, I may have shorter content which people would consider infringement.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!