Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Chrome starts download instead of showing page

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, March 19, 2011
13 years ago35,666 views

Since some days to weeks I keep having the same issue over and over again: I enter a URL, say "touchar" which completes to toucharcade.com, then try to go there say by clicking the URL that pops up in the address bar, or other methods. Now instead of leading me to the site, Chrome quielty starts a download of the HTML page in question. I've disabled all extensions but this keeps happening, almost like 25% of all openend pages (as a rough estimate!). Does anyone know what to do? Anybody else experiencing this?

13 years ago #

(Even when submitting this post, it happened again... Chrome automatically started a download for 178151.html)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

site works in chrome 10.0.648.151 without any problems.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

submittig this comment didn't download it.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Is this helpful?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mbU1eBkfCQ

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Which OS in use?

George R [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

What happens when the download completes?

Does it render the page?

Wasn't downloading file "178151.html" almost instantaneous?

Tinner.wang [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

I have the same problem here, the download dialog occasionally appear when I browse webpages. the chrome try to download the html file. if I clicked 'save', the html file will be saved correctly. but not load in browser.

Beetlejuice [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

previous firefox versions did something very similar,j well exactly the same really just with php extension pages, hit and miss. Seems to have been fixed thought.

13 years ago #

Small update: It also happens in Firefox, so it may be something with my Windows/ Firewall?

Ionut, sorry, I can't see YouTube from China...

George, once it starts the download it will just download, never render the page. Almost like the page type was a ZIP or something.

Maybe all this has to do with the Chinese F1rewall? The (Western) internet is incredibly flaky here.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Right, I forgot about that. The video suggested that the issue is related to Internet Download Manager, which doesn't integrate well with Chrome. The solution was to disable the Chrome integration from IDM's settings (General tab).

Zim [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Long shot: file associations issue?

George R [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Ionut's suggestion of changing the settings in the download manager might help.

It would be nice to know the underlying cause.
Does the extension matter (e.g. "htm" vs "html")?
Does the extension's case matter (e.g. "html" vs "HTML")?

What happens if you try to open the local downloaded copy of the file?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!