Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Emperor's Garden  (View post)

Claudio I. [PersonRank 0]

Friday, August 26, 2011
12 years ago388,882 views

Prediction: The gardener was swiftly sentenced to execution.

Daniel [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Sounds like the gardener was the equivalent to Congress today.

Simone [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Fact: blogoscoped is dead.

redhat [PersonRank 1]

12 years ago #

Crataan fruits give me the runs.

Mxx [PersonRank 1]

12 years ago #

I'm very confused and scared by this post. :(

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

The post it not visible on the main page, which is a very good thing.

Avery W. Krouse [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Cute story, but what's the point? Is this a cryptic allegory about Google Plus? The closing of Slide? Fragmentation of Android?

Greg [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Thought it was about A/B testing? But then the analogy should be 90% of the orchard planted with the most popular fruit and 10% being used for testing new varieties, shouldn't it?

Anthony [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Sounds like an SEO attempt to garner first page organic search results for crataan. I prefer weeds/plants... Japanese knotweed, for resveratrol, bluplerum for saikosaponin a, and Astragalus for cycloastragenol...

Or this story is about...

How annoying subordinates can sound when proposing ideas for a personal garden that ... then makes it impersonable... arghhh

Off with his head!!!

Max [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Obviously, the gardener is now dead. And the garden is still with no plants till a more obsecuent gardener is found :)

Alan [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Just pointing out the obvious... the gardener was suggesting that no Crataan fruit trees be planted. I wonder if he knew that.

This story makes me think about engineers and product managers. I'm not sure which is the PM and which the engineer, though.

Personman [PersonRank 8]

12 years ago #

What I'm interested in is the climate-control technology and botanical storehouse that this gardener must have access to to be able to realistically consider selecting and growing a completely randomly selected tree!

Xiphias Team [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Nice story, but didn't find exact moral. Can anyone suggest me?

Ohmz [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Nice, an Emperror who outwitted by a gardener, lol

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Or, a parable about how when you ask other's opinions the goals differ greatly. as you completely eliminated the original fruit with all the other suggestions.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

Agree. "Sounds like the gardener was the equivalent to Congress today.", or anything like US Congress. For example, Google search. Nowadays, after so much intelligence was added to the engine, very often the returned results contains no some keywords I search.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

I wonder whether this story has some SEO purpose, given that the Crataan Empire "is a fantasy empire in the game MineCraft", and already this blog post ranks third in the search results for Crataan.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

I enjoy reading along the comments, and just wanted to say that all fruit names were thought up "on the spot" during writing, so it's a coincidence if any of them was previously used elsewhere or has any meaning. If it turns out the word is too known in mainstream culture it might be worth amending it to not get in the way of the story, but the lesser known its other meanings are the more it's useful in terms of the story I wanted to tell (which is not a story about Minecraft Empires). As an exercise, try to come up with a random, short, fantasy tale-sounding word: then when you did, paste the word into Google and see how many results and other meanings you'll get...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!