Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Falun Gong, According to Google  (View post)

amski [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, January 29, 2006
18 years ago

I think the close to your penultimate paragraph is spot-on.

What I'd never noticed is that "No one hand picks a particular result..." Which reveals of course that several hands, may.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

That's the great thing about long responsibility chains. No one's responsible!

Imagine this headline:

Chinese Gov't Decides to Stop Censoring the Internet Themselves, Says "As Long as You Don't Find The Stuff, That's Enough"

Luka [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

When you search in french "par * commencer" which means " * to begin " google only show 2 results but says that there are more than 393 000 results. But when you search for "par où commencer" (where to begin), all the 240 000 results are shown... I can't understand why...

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=%22par+*+commencer%22&btnG=Rechercher&meta=

18 years ago #

Small update to the post: I've added a quote I stumbled upon.

“The search results that appear from Google’s indices are indexed by Google’s automated machinery and computers, and Google cannot and does not screen the sites before including them in the indices from which such automated search results are gathered.”
-- The Google Terms of Service

Skawouter [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I was just wondering... i don't know if google.com is accessible from china. But if it is then i can't see what all the rumble is about. If you want to search something about Falun Gong, just go to the google.com site...

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Sakwouter, it is accessible when the Chinese authorities want it to be.

Guest [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Skawouter: according to media outlet (NPR and whatnot), when you are in China, and if you search for things the Chinese Communist Party do not like people to search, it makes the site extremely slow and basically stopped.

So, if you search for "Falun Gong" or "huamn rights" under google.com while in China, just go and prepare yourself a 5 course meal, finish meal, wash dishes, take a shower, and come back to see that the search is still not done.

18 years ago #

On a side-note, I get an immediate "connection blocked" when searching for sensitive terms on Yahoo.cn.

Peter Chang [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

My college friends from China told me that they have trouble logging on websites of American universities from China, let alone have access to prohibited webs for Falun Gong, Tibet, Taiwan or democracy. What is shameful for Google is that instead of simply banning these foreign sites it is also leading readers to the propaganda web portals of the Communist Party on these subjects – this is totally unacceptable.

A graduate student from Harvard
Cambridge, MA

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!