Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Slashdot "Nofollows" Submittors  (View post)

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, January 31, 2006
18 years ago

After one year of nofollow, spam is as big as ever, but everybody is robbed of due credits in weblogs, in non-English wikpedias and now in slashdot. Well why not just disable hypertext? That would kill spam in a minute!

Until then I always think twice before submitting something where I just get a disabled link. Why should I write a longer comment if it gets disabled after 2 or 3 people click it? It won't make any sense afterwards when the article disappeares from the blog homepage.

Slashdot is sooo Web 1.0. Can you digg it?

Bobbo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

>Shouldn’t you give credit where credit is due?

Credit can be given without a link, just by mentioning a name.

You had some successful submissions, did you really get that many visitors from Slashdot?

I think the most obvious reason not to link to the submitter is that most of the time his site is just not interesting. Neither for the story, nor in general. So the link doesn't add anything, it just takes away time for those who follow it. There is just so much crap out there that the few with really good sites don't make up for it.

Eric [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Nofollow is impotent. It hasn't done a damn thing to slow down spammers, and people should be rewarded for positive contributions.

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

I actually got a lot of hits from Slashdot once by posting a comment that people loved. I think it was about GoogleX, not sure anymore.

* * Beatles-Beatles [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

<b>It was the * * Beatles-Beatles Controversy that changed the policy

Even Accepted Submissions are no longer on the user page

Review this query and read Submissions from SEPT 2005 (Beatles first Acceptance) on up – to see the – Before and After – start of the controversy -

http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=*+*+Beatles-Beatles

BTW:
Detailed Stats exists concerning the amount of Click throughs, IP Addresses, etc,,
   to the * * Beatles-Beatles homepage Link from Slashdot during different stages of the controversy

</b>

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Slashdot often publishes spam as a real story, so nofollow is good.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I know this will make me less interested in submitted stories to /.. I want my link juice gorammit.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!