Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Optimizing HTML for Search Engines  (View post)

Pete Ottery [PersonRank 0]

Friday, February 3, 2006
18 years ago

What if you had 2 sites. 1 marked up using lean semantically correct code, the other full of tables and bloated code. Both had the same visual content, same keywords etc.

1 page of the semantically correct site weighs 25k
1 page of the bloated site weighs 100k

Both sites have 1 million pages.

The googlebot visits each once a week.

Does the google bot spend unlimited time indexing each site? I dont know for sure but i'd anticipate it has a limited amount of time.

Say it only has (i'm totally speculating here) 2 minutes to spend at any one domain name, isn't it possible it might index much much more (4 times as much) of the semantically correct site, and in turn result in better rankings?

I'm not stating anything here as fact. I'm asking if this is how it "could" work , outside a vacuum, in the real world, and wouldnt that be a very good reason for semantically correct lean code?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Good point.

Scott Moonen [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Philipp,

A while back I was experimenting with layout on my personal web site. I temporarily changed most of my <p> tags to <div> tags so that I could try nesting some things alongside text that didn't normally work inside <p> tags.

I found that my Google referrals dropped almost to zero.

I've since changed it back, and they're picking up again. They aren't quite what they were before, so I suspect that there may have been some Google algorithmic changes in-between that also influenced ranking. But it does still seem to me that Google is very sensitive to the use of <p> versus <div>.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

To make it short: SEO for Google is more or less: 30% correct markup, page "design" and the like, 30% content and 40% link popularity.

Then there is a plethora of details you have to think about I and others wrote lots of articles and even books about.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!