Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google and BearingPoint  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, February 15, 2006
18 years ago

actually its "search solutions practices" – this implies harversting the enterpise thru documentum (Images) – middleware (oracle) – legacy (db2 /whatever) kinda of forests.. all put under the same look and feel of a google search UI ..
and ranking and what not.. thats what I am thinking!!

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

They appear to have decided to cram into their announcements as many of the different meanings of the word 'practice' as possible, presumably humorously. What a lark it must be to work in Google Enterprise.

In "... BearingPoint announced a search practice based on Google's enterprise products", 'practice' is a noun meaning an occupation or profession (roughly synonymous with an office or department or workgroup). It's most often used to describe a law firm, or part of one (e.g. a law practice or a professional negligence practice), but it fits (rather pompously) a search consultancy too.

The Google Enterprise blog also says: "... a new Search Solutions Practice group ..." though including both 'Practice' and 'group' is a tautology. Buzzword overload.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

wheeww. who pulled the comments here ?? I kinda saw more then what I am seeing now or I am being on overload mode now ?? :)-

I agree with Milly, the end results are not very clear yet on what bearingpoint will do with Enterpise Level search. I think all this linked into the filio of their GSA product lineup...the gb800x series lineup is impressive and ideal for suc applications...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> wheeww. who pulled the comments here ??

Milly had some character encoding issues with the first post – my forum software is to blame for not supporting UTF8! – so he posted the same comment again as ASCII, as well as a note asking for removal of his first comment with the encoding issues.

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thanks for the UTF<->ASCII shuffle, Philipp. (Originally I pasted the quotes directly from the web page in Opera: to clean it up I just re-pasted via Notepad).

Did my explanation of what &#8220;search practice&#8221; means do the trick, or did I misunderstand your question?

BTW, it's 'she' posted, about 'her' comment: I guess I've failed the 'The Power of Approachability' rule about 'Always have your business card with you' by not having an About page. Though Milly is an almost exclusively female name here in the UK: presumably the opposite assumption is natural in Germany.

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Rats, yet more encoding snafus! That time I composed the message in Outlook ('cos I 'live' there mostly, and for the spellchecker), then pasted it into your form. Oh dear.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!