Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Selling Online Access at Google Books  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, March 11, 2006
18 years ago

yes, they are playing mashup in various countrys.......

Why launch only in two countries ??.. but go to the partner program page and pull down "change Language" – I see another 7 countries too ..correct ?

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

pd, I think the partner program is available in those countries, but the selling online access feature have only been enabled for US and UK. That makes sense since the highest volume of partners are from those countries, and oline access can not be purchased yet, for now google is only allowing publishers to set a price.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Have the taken the accounts login off of google books? I can find no where to login at all. So how can I buy!?

Personman [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

The 'can't copy' clause seems weak.. yes, the average user probably won't, but it is trivially easy to take screen shots of the pages (Much easier than scanning in a paper book) and PDFs of Google books will doubtless be all over the web and BitTorrent within seconds.

rogerd [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think the "no copy" part is weak, too, but if they force one to copy a book through screen capture and OCR it will dissuade all but the most motivated (or automated) readers. I suspect they'll be watching for signs of automation, e.g. loading pages one after the other at high speed.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!