Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Da Vinci Code Quest Started  (View post)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Monday, April 17, 2006
18 years ago228,091 views

Philipp I think everyone gets slightly different ones so it is hard to post the image of the solution to that one. I will copy it though and solve it. Give me a few mins...

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, as said before, the Quest might be a quest to find people with enough potential to become an effective Google employee, (people who 'bended the rules, or used some program to make their mouse movements go fast), and they'll announce the winner as the person who takes the job offe

Or, they even might announce that that it was all a search for employees! :)

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Speaking of Wei-Hwa CJ,

did anyone get any of the Why-Me rhymes, or the tree in the woods question?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I was dissapointed by that offering. I got a few of them.

Claire [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I got:
Daughter laughter
genial denial
gross cross
touches douches
Viscount (-$ blocked).

I'm sure I should be able to get others, but I can't think of them right now...

ItIsI [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Got all of the Why Me Rhymes except "Newer Style of Patio Furniture"

cassie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

has anyone considered that Wei-Hwa is the davinci code quest winner? i mean who is that guy anyway? and why isnt he allowed to say anything?

Claire [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I haven't checked the rules, but usually employees of Sony and Google and their families wouldn't be eligible to enter...

He can't say anything because he'll get sued if he does, he only made the puzzles, I don't think the prizes are his business, that's all up to Sony.

Cassie2 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I am still die..ing to know who won this darn thing. Do you hear me Da Vinci Code Quest?! I need closure so I can get on with my life! :)

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I second that!

she [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

I think we are all suffering from a group delusion. There was never a quest, nobody won, there was no prize, right?

Cassie2 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I refuse to give up until I find out who won this thing. I will keep checking this list daily until we find out who won. Does anyone have the contact info for the winners list?

Sarah [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I received this message from Eurostar this evening EDT:

Close but no cigar

A record-breaking 1.2 million people were drawn to the Eurostar Quest site to uncover the secrets of London and Paris. Of these, only the smartest 2 % had the skill and cunning required to make it through to complete all the puzzles. You are one of the elite players worldwide who managed to do this, so give yourself a pat on the back and be proud of the fact that you are one of the best code-crackers on the planet.

However, we are sorry to let you know that you narrowly missed out on being one of the Grand Finalists. There were other players who solved the final puzzle in fewer attempts or were that little bit faster, but we very much hope that you enjoyed taking part.

We also hope that the Eurostar Quest has fuelled your curiosity to discover all of our destinations and that it has encouraged you to dig a little deeper and experience what lies beneath the surface of two of Europe’s most intriguing and evocative cities – London and Paris.

If so, look out for our next email, as we'll give you some tips of how to organise your own quest to discover London and Paris. Since you made it all the way to the very end of our Quest, we think it’s only right to help you unravel the real mysteries of London and Paris for yourself.

Thanks once again for taking part. We hope you enjoyed the Quest.

Did anyone here qualify?

Claire [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I got that message too.
But given I think only 5 people actually qualify (one from each nation), I reckon our chances of finding anyone are um... slim!

R. Scott Sutor [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

On Friday 6/9, I received this mail:

<snip>
Mr R. Scott Sutor

URN <Removed>

Congratulations! You are a Eurostar Quest code cracker

You are one of the sharpest players to have cracked the code and solved
the Level 1 prize puzzle. You have won a PS2 Game.

We have your details on our files but we want to make absolutely certain
that your prize reaches you. Please click on the link below to confirm
your name and address and we will send your prize within 28 days of
receipt of your email confirmation. If we don't hear from you on or
before the 23rd June 2006, you will forfeit your prize and the next
fastest contactable player (with the same number of attempts) from your
Territory will be awarded the prize*.

<URL Removed>

We hope you enjoyed solving the mysteries of the Eurostar Quest and that
it has inspired you to make your own journey with Eurostar to uncover
the hidden secrets of our many destinations. Your discoveries have only
just begun!

Kind regards,

The Eurostar Quest team

Visit www.eurostar.com

* The Promoter is not liable for any loss or damage to the Prize during
portage or delivery

Please check for viruses before accessing attachments. Although we
endeavour to keep files clean we take no responsibility for any damage
caused by contagion.
For the legal protection of our business any email sent or received by
us may be monitored or intercepted.

</snip>

It seems that 3 tries in 36 seconds was good enough to qualify for the top 1/2 of L1. I was expecting 3 tries in 16 sec to be good enough for L2, but it must not have been as I didn't get a notice about that. I also didn't get the "top 2%" mail, so I must have blown the final also.

Cheers!
-S.

Matt [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Any lawyers out there?

Is Google legally bound to reveal the winner grand prize, or could they tell us all they gave it to -someone-, but really they didn't give it out. Or are there loop holes in the conditions that mean they don't even have to give anything out? I thought google was trustworthy, but lately it seems pretty sketchy.

Sarah [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Matt, and others -

The suspense is killing me too on who the final winner is (and, more importantly, what their time was). Having done the final challenge, I think that anyone who did it in under 5 minutes must've been cheating in more ways than one! The mouse can only move so fast...

If you want to find out the winner's name, according to the rules, it says: For an additional copy of these Official Rules or the Grand Prize Winner’s Name, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: The Da Vinci Code Quest On Google “Rules” or “Grand Prize Winner’s Name” (specify which), P.O. Box 10301, Burbank, CA 91510. All requests must be received by July 21, 2006. The Official Rules will also be accessible from the Web Site during the Contest Period. Grand Prize Winner’s name may also be posted on the Web Site and/or other media including on-air.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I asked Google who won the Da Vinci Code quest, and here's their answer:

"We appreciate your interest in the DaVinci Code Quest, but we're unable to answer questions about the contest. For information related to this game, ülease contact Sony. You can reach the Contest Administrator at:

Sullivan Compliance Company
P.O. Box 7398
Burbank, CA 91510-7398

We appreciate your taking the time to write.

Regards,
The Google Team"

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Philipp-

Are you planning on contacting Sullivan, and if so, will you post their reply here?

Thanks!

Matt [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Maybe google's gonna turn release the winner's info as publicity for the dvd release. Just a thought...

William [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I sent 3 requests long before the deadline and I have yet to hear a thing even though the deadline for the winner info has past. SONY sucks

Metro Mapper [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I sent away for the winner, and google mailed me (via the post) the winner's name. Anthony N. from Collierville Tennessee. Has anyone heard this yet, or know who he is or what is time is?

Michael
[signature removed]

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Michael, thanks for posting on my blog.

I received the letter today as well, and I can confirm that Anthony N. from Collierville TN is the winner. I wish I knew what his time was, and how I did compared to the other finalists.

18 years ago #

I posted more details on my blog if anybody cares to read it:
http://www.cjmillisock.com/2006/07/official-google-da-vinci-code-quest.html

Matt [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Thanks, I'd like to see more info too. I was one of the lamo's who waited till school was out to finish, and never became a finalist. From what I've heard there was a lot of possible cheating in the final round. Google must of had a hell of a time figuring out the winner.

Robert Rimmington [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I won a Sony Ericsson Mobile phone, but I can't find any other winners!

18 years ago #

[moved]

I too have been trying to find out who has won what, but all I know is that I have won a Sony Ericsson mobile phone and I have received it and am using it! But who else has got anything, I know not.

18 years ago #

Robert, are you talking about the Eurostar quest? What country are you from? As far as I know, the US contest only had one winner, and he won hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of trips/prizes.

Congratulations on the phone, by the way!

Matt [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yeah. It seemed to me like the grand prize winner took all in the google quest. Maybe Robert's confused. LoL

18 years ago #

Sorry seems like I have the wrong cometition. I am from the UK, but even so we can't find out any winners.

Luke [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I won a Sony Playstation 2 slim from the Eurostar Quest. It came with a Da Vinci Code game. At first they sent me a European model, but they eventually sent me an American model.

Claire [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No winners announced from Aus either that I can see...

Anthony N [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

hi im the winner of the eurostar quest i won enough travel checs and crap like that to take 100's of holidays in gangsta places this is the only good blog i could find about the quest all the others are rubbish

anthony

Matt [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

What other prizes did you receive?

17 years ago #

Anthony N, you say you won the Eurostar quest? Is that the same thing as the US Da Vinci Code contest Google had?

Bill [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I enjoyed looking around your web site. It is very well done

Best site in bleep! My thnx to webmasters.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!