Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How Linkable is Your Blog Post?  (View post)

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 3, 2006
18 years ago5,719 views

Like the idea...:)

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"My blog is read by many people"

aka "Them that's got shall get Them that's not shall lose So the Bible says And it still is news."

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

nice. I think this is a good read for all

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

How to lead others to link to your daily blogs ?
Quite great auditing, it should be a general matrix for all news businesses.

How Linkable is your Blog post ?

and HOW Clickable is your Textual link ?

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Great Job, philipp... I love it!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> "Them that's got shall get Them
> that's not shall lose So the Bible
> says And it still is news."

I think it's true that if there are two near identical posts on an unknown blog, and on a top blog, and the two bloggers do everything else nearly the same... that the top blog will get more links. But the more you post great stuff on an unknown blog the more people will start to read it... and even if you have a completely unknown blog you can make the post take off when you got a scoop/ very cool insight. I still remember there was this one Google-related blog which made a big splash with its first post:
http://www.searchbistro.com/index.php?/archives/19-Google-Secret-Lab,-Prelude.html

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

For link blogs, I think a good question is if your entries follow a central theme, and if you are filling a niche. Ideally your theme is a unique one if you want more people to come (i.e. a blog on celebrities would probably get lost in a sea of thousands of others just like it if it doesn't provide original commentary or breaking stories).

hecaitou [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I got 65 points in this test.

And I translated this test into Chinese:

http://www.hecaitou.net/?p=601

Thank you, philipp.

18 years ago #

Hecaitu, please contact me, I might be able to feature your translation on the site... I can send you the data source file.... philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com
I was pondering translating this to German as well.

18 years ago #

There is a difference between "A person can win the lottery by buying one ticket", versus "Everybody who buys a ticket wins the lottery".

If someone had a scoop, and got ignored, then it's much more difficult to know about that counter-example.

http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/archives/000986.html

hecaitou [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Pls check ur mailbox.

18 years ago #

Seth, it's certainly a subject that deserves analysis. But I think it's almost impossible to have a scoop and be ignored these days – at least impossible to be ignored by the blogosphere/ diggosphere (bad word). News go around so quickly, at least when people are interested in the subject. Whether or not a scoop will have impact in the *real world* is another issue altogether... I mean would there still be DRM as it is today if blogs would have decisive impact on reality? It's a complicated issue. What linkability score do you get for http://www.sethf.com/anticensorware/smartfilter/greatestevils.php (as an example... I'm not sure it was a blog post in 2000)?

18 years ago #

Phillip, contrary to "almost impossible to have a scoop and be ignored...", I would argue that the sheer volume of echoes and ranting in the bogosphere, combing with the exponential distribution of attention, makes it very easy for signal to get lost in the noise. Again, consider selection bias – "Certain interesting items are reported" is not the same as "If it wasn't reported, it wasn't interesting".

I think that my report scores highly on most of the items. It's offered as a proof of a scoop that was *not* reported, which is something that's hard to prove.

I could dig up others, but the more I did that, the more I'd risk getting into something arguable.

I'm not criticizing your list. I just found that item amusing, as a rich-get-richer point.

Liz [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Seems that some of these ideas relate to different marketing tips for the blog, some are for search engines, some are for eyeballs and other are for linking. Good mental check to keep you on track. One of the other things I look for in addition is the use of 'no follows'. I don't usually link to blogs that have no follows on the site, it is all about sharing the wealth. http://blizzardinternet.blogs.com/

18 years ago #

I have mixed feelings about "nofollow". For example, I didn't use it for this forum in the beginning but when spam got more and more, I introduced it. A compromise might be to enable nofollow in the first 7 days of a new forum post only – this way, spammers won't get any value because their comments are removed within a week. Real links who remain after that period will then turn to normal links. I ponder doing that approach for this forum...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!