Forum

That's Not Multitasking  (View post)

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 9, 2006
18 years ago5,183 views

All I have to say is ...

18 years ago #

Ohh... sorry, I got distracted.... I wanted to say BRAVO!

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just *knew* it was going to end with something like that.

Good post – it is pretty true.

Gooberoo [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

You've got it spot on!!!

Gareth [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Spot on indeed. Happens all the time. Especially with those little "oh that will only take 2 minutes" tasks. Let me get it out of the way before going back to my main afternoon project... 45 minutes later....

I must say though, I couldn't work without dual screen setup anymore. Its been a joy since I got that going about 18 months ago. No problem at all with a laptop.

And just in the last couple of weeks I added a third screen using MaxiVista and an old PC that was lying around the IT department.

Werner [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Agreed, every step of the way.

However, eversince I realized that for myself, I try to reverse that kind of 'optimization' in that I alert myself whenever I'm about to switch. I ask myself two things: Is the expected outcome of the new task more important than what I'm currently working? If yes, I ask myself question #2, which is: How long will I need to accomplish that outcome? If it is by far longer than finishing task #1, I will stick with the first task and see to it getting finished as soon as possible. If task #2's outcome can be achieved in less time than finishing #1 AND it's more important, I might start on 2 and get that done first, hoping to have a chance of returning to 1 afterwards.

Mind you: All of the above only works, if you don't have talking annoyances in the shape of so-called 'managers' whirling around your desk, driving you crazy in order for the first to work up their little ego-boost by constantly bombing your nice little plan of productivity... – which, I'm happy to say, is not the case with my current job (that means: I get to do it my way).

Anyone feeling like drawing the according flowchart for the above? ;-)

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree, I was once doing a report, when my friend sent me a video over AIM, when I accepted the transfer request........

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

oh sorry....I had an e-mail to look over (joke)....anyway.........the transfer got messed up and my computer froze.....when I restarted after waiting twenty minutes....I had lost the original report......I'd say more, but it looks like another task needs my attention :)

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

just do multitasking when Cooking.... hhheeh

same here no multitasking ...

18 years ago #

but... but... but... If I never multi tasked, I would never get to read Google Blogoscoped!

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

good one Harris

Brandon Byers [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

It seems that everything is geared to more effectively distract us ... your description shows that perfectly. And yet, we're more "focused", or so we think. I guess what I'm thinking is what it takes to do well in your job is to get very good at not getting distracted. Which ... well, good luck with that.

olivier [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

If you want real multitask change your OS, Windows is the worst of all in managing memory.

kenneth Lawson [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

As A stay at home dad, I around to do everything..
   My idea of mutiltasking is,dishwasher going, washer going, dryer going, pvr recording something, computer recording something off the pvr to dvd, and listening to mps off the dvd player, because I don't want to sit and watch whats being burned to dvd right now, there then checking computer screen evey so often to make sure its ok, Thats ture mutlitasking...

Techonolgy is a Beatifull Thing....
   When It Works...........

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hmmmm... i agree totally!! I should be doing something else right now instead of reading this forum... but i was just gonna take a minute.....

kenneth Lawson [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Now if I could spell as well as I mutitask...

Eric F. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I think your referring to yak shaving (yes im serious)

check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yak_shaving

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nice... didn't know yak shaving!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!