Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Blocked

Captain Kangaroo [PersonRank 3]

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
18 years ago3,428 views

Holy crap! I don't know what to do! My school blocked Google today. Oh man. I hope it is just for the SOLs, but isn't that getting a litte too overprotecive? I will try to post a picture of it on my website. You can get to it by typing in site:googlepages.com in Google and cicking on the first link. Can they legally block Google?
Thanks,
Mike

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mike, I don't think your school blocked Google. First of all, it would have to have fallen under a category that was set to be blocked, or blocked manually, and who would block Google? It is probable that you were trying to access Google around the time the the last puzzle of the Da Vinci Code Quest was available. There was so much traffic because of the puzzle that Google probably crashed. Anyway, if you try now it shouldn't be "blocked." :)

18 years ago #

It is. I have a picture of it on my site, but I can't put my site in here because Philip blocked it. Follow the directions from my first post and see it in all of its evil glory.
Mike

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can't get in, it makes me sign in, but I can't because I don't have GMail, only a personalized homepage.. :(

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If they did block it though, someone should talk to your school administration, because blocking Google is just plain STUPID! :)

18 years ago #

Oh. I am pretty sure that it is because of the SOL (Standards Of Learning) tests. If it isn't then that sux big time for me.

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, try to contact whoever is head of Internet Accces for students in your school district, alot of people on your side would be effective against them, and it is Google, alot of people are probably opposed to the blocking of it. :)

18 years ago #

Yeah, blocking Google has to be one of the most idiotic things anybody could do. Do you mind if I use this post and show it to them, in order to show them an outside view of the situation?
Mike

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sure, why not? I'd be glad to be of help! :)

18 years ago #

Now when I try to go, it says this:

Google Error

We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
   To continue searching, please type the characters you see below:

What is up with that?
Mike

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hmm...lots of people have been getting that.....I had it too for some of my personalized homepage content.....now that you told me this, it probably isn't your school, but some kind of confusion at Google.. :(

18 years ago #

No, Google is blocked by 836 Technologies filtering software. It even says that my school purposely blocked it.
Mike

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I see, so I guess you should confront the administration about the issue, and you are free to use these posts as thoughts or comments from an outside group.. :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> because Philip blocked it

Captain, what's your URL? I'll unblock it, but please don't post your signature with every post.

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Look at this for Google Images! It's blocked at my school! :(

http://10.1.0.13:15871/cgi-bin/blockpage.cgi?ws-session=2869194580

18 years ago #

It is blocked so I can't give it to you directly. Take out the spaces(http://m o s t p s p.googlepages.com).
Thanks Philip!

john nate [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

go to

google.ca

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

that's a good idea!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!