Google Blogoscoped

Forum

most people don't click on the "next page" link

Hanan Cohen [PersonRank 7]

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
18 years ago3,154 views

Robert Scoble writes something interesting:

I like the infinite scroll on Live.com, by the way. One thing we learned from our research with users is that most people don't click on the "next page" link. So, we got rid of it. We're now finding that people who use Live.com look at more search results than they used to.

http://scobleizer.wordpress.com/2006/05/10/radio-userland-developer-joins-microsofts-livecom-team/

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hmmm...that does make sense.....I never click the next page either, I just look over results or links on the first page of wherever I am.. :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

OK, I think you can come to two opposing conclusions assuming "people don't click on Next Page":
- People don't care about more than 10 results – so don't emphasize the possibility to get there.
- People care a lot about more than 10 results but find it to bothersome to click the Next Page button – so let's make it easier by scrolling.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I always set my google to display 100 results. Maybe I'm just sooo lazy that I go out of my way to save that click.... but I guess that makes me a good programmer right? ;o)

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think the reason Google got so popular was that the first ten results were accurate. Back in the altavista days, I remember needing to either really analyze my search terms or go through many pages of results to find what I was looking for.

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

To finish my thought – as a consumer, I have chosen to select an engine where I don't need to find the next page (generally speaking).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!