Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google to serve humane eggs

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 12, 2006
18 years ago2,360 views

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – Google's employee cafeterias will no longer serve eggs that come from caged hens.

Google employs roughly 6,000 workers, who eat about 300,000 eggs annually in the cafeterias. Company officials say they want to incorporate social values into food choices.

"We're happy to do it," John Dickman, Google's global food services manager, said Wednesday. "There's a ripple effect that I think will happen. Other companies also will want to ensure humane treatment of animals."

Animal rights groups have pushed companies to make the change, saying six or more hens are confined in a single wire cage in factory farms.

"This is a matter of common decency," said Paul Shapiro, director of the factory-farming campaign at the Humane Society of the United States.

Taken From:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/14556768.htm

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

(not checking sources before posting, so I apologize if I insert foot into mouth)
Good for Google! This is actually something that I care about, but as a single consumer, there is not much I can do about it. But controlling 300,000 eggs a day hopefully they can increase demand for humane treatment. Although, I'm sure this change is going to cost them way more than replacing the M&Ms in the snack room with cereal saved them.

My next question is.... eggs are in everything.... what are they doing about all other products that are made with eggs?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

first i didnt get this line:
"(not checking sources before posting, so I apologize if I insert foot into mouth) "

second.. i dunno, maybe theyll replace things like mayonnaise that contain eggs in it with a mayonnaise that doesnt!?
but thats depend on the factories that makes the product, not the consumer

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!