Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Calendar for Hosted Gmail

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, May 13, 2006
18 years ago2,402 views

I am now getting the corner bookmark showing up in my Gmail for Domain email account. This I think indicated that the Calendar integration is almost upon us for hosted gmail users. At the moment clicking the link gives a 404.

18 years ago #

Today I get this:

"Hello,

Our records indicate that you signed up for a Google Account and then created a Google Calendar using this Gmail for your domain email address (***[put at-character here]*******.com). We are launching Google Calendar support for Gmail for your domain accounts next week, which will add new features and functionality. However, this will create a second Google Calendar account associated with your email address. Because each calendar must have a unique email address, your existing calendar will no longer be fully functional.

At that time, the new Gmail for your domain Google Calendar will become the primary calendar for ***[put at-character here]*******.com. You'll still be able to access your existing calendar for a limited time, but existing calendar events won't be migrated over. Event invitations and calendars shared by other people to your email address will begin to appear on your new calendar, not on your existing calendar as they have in the past.

If you'd like to maintain your existing calendar as well as your new calendar, we recommend that you change the email address associated with your existing calendar. To do so, sign in at https://www.google.com/accounts and click the 'Email address' link under 'Edit Personal Info'. If you don't want to maintain your existing calendar, no action is required on your part.

We're excited to offer Google Calendar to Gmail for your domain users. You will be able to send calendar event invitations from your email inbox and add events mentioned in email conversations to your calendar with just one click.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,
The Google Team"

Can anyone explain this to me? Why can't they import my events?

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It looks like you signed up for a google account with you Gmail for your Domain email address. Gmail for your domain is kept separate from Google Accounts so it may have something to do with that. (Think of it like this – Gmail for your domain is like having a separate email service, like Yahoo, which does not connect to other Google services, even though you used the email to sign up for a google account.) So in a sense, for them to import your info would be in violation of privacy issues.

I would think though that yu can easily import your calendar information to the new one?

18 years ago #

Or: Yes I see what you mean. I never actually made any events on the calendar with the account so it is no issue for me. I only made the account to see if it would instantly activate the Gmail Calendar features in my account. Then I learned that GCal for Gmail for Domains was coming later.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You know, I was going to sign up my gmail for D email for google calendar, but decided it would be too much trouble. And plus, all the other users on my domain would have to sign up too. So I'm glad they are coming out with this.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!