Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Will Vista Be the Last Operating System Microsoft Produces?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 19, 2006
18 years ago3,716 views

<<I don’t think Microsoft will ship another Operating System after Vista launches. I believe that a combination of technical difficulties and changing markets will prevent it from creating a product that is relevant in the market. Consider this, if the latest shipping dates are to be believed, it will have taken Microsoft over six years to get Windows Vista out the door and to its consumers. And based on past events, it is safe to assume that Vista will require at least one service pack before it is truly ready for use. Of course, factoring in the normal Microsoft delays for producing patches, such a comprehensive service pack will probably take another year before it can be released to users. That would mean that it will have taken Microsoft 7+ years to make a usable operating system.>>

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/1020/

i dont agree, at all!!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No i don't agree either. Surely they have already been planning and are working on their next one after Vista? Would make sense with a company of that size. Have a Vista team and a Vista+1(Whatever is next) team.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't think it will be the last OS that Microsoft produces. But it will certainly be a while before the next one. I think this for a few reasons:

= Vista is supposed to be a MAJOR upgrade. There will be lots to correct in Service Packs before they release the next OS.

= They have spent a long time on this OS they don't want to lifecycle of it to be too short (Consider Windows ME for example).

= People will not bother upgrading from Vista unless Vista+1 is also a major upgrade. This will take a long time to do (Since they have to include all the tricky stuff they have omitted from Vista due to timing issues).

I would guess we wont see Vista+1 before 2011.

18 years ago #

ohh now i remember
MS is working on two OSs
one: The next generation of Windows(no not Vista) , Windows Vienna
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+looks+beyond+Vista,+sees+Vienna/2100-1016_3-6029241.html?tag=xtra

two:MS i working on a OS that has no connection to Windows..
i could find a link :(, but MS is working on a different OS for real!!

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

When is Vista expected to be released?

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Last year... no.. i think its november... wait a minute now....did i just hear next spring???

18 years ago #

<<When is Vista expected to be released?>>

January 2007

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

MSFT will die if they dont retain control of the desktop!!

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

MSFT needs Vista (offline) and Live (online) to work together and transition their users into an Online Scenario. It's all about building bridged and i'm pretty excited to see how it all works out.

Google knows that the desktop is still sooooo very important and they are trying really hard to own more and more of it. Google is a visionary search engine but something tells me MSFT has a vision that's just a little broader. At least that's what i'm thinking now.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Rick is cutting screen scraps on the build :)-

http://ricksegal.typepad.com/pmv/2006/05/vista_test_resu.html

18 years ago #

lol :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!