Google Blogoscoped

Forum

PersonRank

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 22, 2006
18 years ago6,329 views

Philipp,

I was just thinking about the PersonRank, and tought that you should implement it in a way that it can drop too, not only increase.

Captain Kangaroo [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Awsome idea, only not for my name. Hahahahahahaha. Yeah.....

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

lol..
great idea..yeah..
but hows he gonna do it?!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

PersonRank is a dynamic value that can drop, and did drop in the past... :)

18 years ago #

and what was the method!?

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

LOL!! Implement it for iZeitgeist only.. huh?? :-)

18 years ago #

Another feature could be that users can't post with different names in a time slot of 15 mins or an hour or whatever, just not to harm some else credentials and to protect the forum users' identity!

18 years ago #

Actually my thinkig isn't quite right! they can always post with a different name after the time slot has passed. I guess if you don't want to impement a password secured system, there is always gonna be PersonFraud.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It can drop?!

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

iZeitgeist: Have their been any incidents of PersonFraud on this forum?

I think the no log on is brilliant.

18 years ago #

<<It can drop?!>>
yes..
OREO, had person rank:10 and he has now 9..
it can drop

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Same here, I used to have 10 also, but it dropped.....by the way....how does it drop?! :)

18 years ago #

philipp is using a new method of ranking.. not just posts..

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

There are getting to be a lot of people with person rank of ten. (not that I'm complaining :)) But it would be cool, if it was harder to reach. Make it much more complex to work out. Get some Googlers to divise one ;)

18 years ago #

Sam: Not to my knowledge!

But you know, there are always people wanting to fool around, not to forget the spammers but they have no interest using say /pd for example.

18 years ago #

The no log on is great and saves time but anyone could use your identity to spread whatever information they wanted or just alter your reputation.

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"But it would be cool, if it was harder to reach. Make it much more complex to work out. Get some Googlers to divise one ;)"

What would a cool complex algo for PersonRankā„¢ contain?

- Measure length of posts
- The time of reading the site/posting comments
- Frequency of posting
- Whether the comments have encouraged discussion
- How many times has the person been quoted
- Natural Language Processing to ascertain whether they are adding quality comments
- A secret Lenssen recipe to determine the quality of the comments/links about *discovered* content (actually whether Philipp releases a post regarding the comment would solve that) :)
- Check to see if grammar and spelling is correct :-)
- Use of line breaks to split up content
- Identification of silly/pointless comments – lose PersonRank points :(
- Naive Bayes Algo to take all previous comments and generate a mark system for big long words used in correct context
- Genetic Algorithm to judge whether comment was obvious and didn't add to discussion

(Warning: Suggestions taken at own risk to both body and soul)

18 years ago #

Pretty impressive and exhaustive list,

Someone could probably use those parameters and add some more to build some kind of recognition/reputation system to be used for comment/sales and such. Like Rapleaf is trying to do, but more in general way.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

IZeitgest, I troll , monintor channels and when I find somebody using my handle. I'll call them in :)-

As such I have nothing to hide or gain from interacting here... so i dont care a darn!! :)-

However, being a person who is entrenched into blogsphere.. its just a matter of time before one gets a handle on whos out there --even if its some darn MIT student :)- ..

heres the cache ...

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:-2XiFqDjzzwJ:blogdex.net/track.asp%3Fid%3D11271739+peterdawson&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=11

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<<Get some Googlers to divise one>> Who needs googlers? We have superhuman davinci code crackers like Crispix lurking around.....

Seriously, I read this blog for quite some time before I ever posted... guess I'm just an introvert, but eventually I climbed my way to number 9, but am back down to number 10
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/personrank.html

I think that this board just does not have problems with impersonators, and if there were a couple I think they could get weeded out. maybe some day we can go to a higher level, but quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would want to impersonate me! :)

18 years ago #

Make that person 9 again!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

A great list Utills! It would be great if some of those could be incorporated. But then again Philipp is a busy man.

Although I like not having to sign on in the forum. Signing on does have some good advantages; edit/delete own posts, and security.

Maybe there should be a way to flag rubbish/spam/off topic posts? Would be a way of helping Philipp out, without any of us becoming moderators.

18 years ago #

Why not implement a one time login with the use of a cookie (with an expiration date of 2038 like Google did or something).

That would leave it simple ans fast yet effective as far as security goes.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

DPneal , that's a good idea – "Maybe there should be a way to flag rubbish/spam/off topic posts?" –

yeah I know that housekeeping is such a pain in the sensetive part of the human anatomy and takes time..

so maybe Philipp- should consider have some trusted members in the forum with "delete privedges" only on the this zone.

18 years ago #

ummmmm....... how would he know who is a trusted user? we are back to the whole no login thing!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well if a trusted user needed to delete something then they would need to login to do that. But not to post.
Obviously this is all just hypothetical. We don't even know how Philipp feels about this, and it's up to him to decide these things.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

that would be upto Phillip to decide.. its basically a user who has special previeldges – for cleaning up spam and off topics and that user will have a special back channel log on which permits him to view (via the web) the entires into the SQL tables... and then mark them for deletions.. Philipp then actully parsed all marked for delete.. does a quick review and then physicall hits the return button..

Personally speaking, I can see a number of you here, who I would trust off the bat..

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm not sure if this is well known but If you double click on the time of a comment it presents a special screen to delete the comment. This requires a password but is effectively a brilliant method by which user's dont need to log in but just know what the password is.

Sorry Philipp if this is meant to be secret. :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah thats the channel /pwd that he needs to lease out for house keeping... but then again.. thats Philipp to decide

18 years ago #

Good suggestions everyone. To explain, PersonRank should express "how regular is a person around here". That can include how long the person has been around or how active they are, but it should not include the quality of postings (e.g. measured digg-style). Another ingredient I was pondering to add is that I devalue the number of posts made to only 1 thread. It is unlikely that everyone reads along all threads, so if you miss a couple of threads then you don't get the impression that a person posting 100 comments to the Da Vinci thread is "regular".

Another point made is flagging a post as "spam", which is something I've been pondering as well and might implement. The way it would work is that every post has a "spam" flag button next to it. When over N people with unique IPs flag something as spam it will be made invisible. Then of course I still need to do regular checks of what type of content is made invisible to see if the system works.

Utills
> Sorry Philipp if this is meant to be secret. :)

It's no secret, though the password behind that screen is secret :)

As for impersonations, I do regular behind-the-scenes IP checks, especially when something looks fishy, but naturally when everyone would try to impersonate everyone else around here, the solution would be to add logins (which I try to avoid so far).

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I am strong against "add logins"!!

the Primary stickyness of this forum is that its open with a well balanced user community and a very knowledgabe sysadmin. This brings about a clear "satisfcation" level for participantion (at least for me) here.. :)-

We are in an "attention", 'intention" and "reputation" systems within web2.0. This forum is excellent "as-is" to follow up on such cutting edge paradigms.

Tthe fact being is that this site is ranked and conistently ranked in the top t'rati listing.. ...and that by itself my indicate the "seceret sauce" of this Blog ..'nuff said.

==>When over N people with unique IPs flag something as spam it will be made invisible.

thats would be a unqiue within blogsphere ..interesting ..the wisdom of crowds being implemented as a system :)-

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Actually pd, Digg and their peers already do that to bury stories. If enough people mark it as inaccurate for example, then they put a message up saying that "This article's accuracy is under review".

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yes, but digg has login id ..correct ??

18 years ago #

Did a whole lot of us drop in PersonRank at once or is it just my illusion?

1 Hour ago I was PR 8 now I am 6,

David Hetfield was PR 10 now he is 9,

Captain Kangaroo [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

I wonder if you could implement a feature that allows you to cross out a certain bad post. Then, when somebody doesn't like a post, they can add a line to it. When a lot of people don't like it, then it will eventually black out. This would prevent people from making it disappear, but would draw attention to it, so others could add their lines. So basically, lines go on top of lines until it is gone. Does that make sense?
Mike

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think PersonRank has been updated. I'm still 10 though ;)

I think time is a crucial aspect of this update, with people who have only been posting for a few weeks or months being most affected. I used to post under my full name before so I have actually been posting for a whole year now. :-))

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah I like the idea of flagging posts. Would be good if you could implement that. :)
Have you ever / Would you ever have moderators on this site Philipp? Do you find it hard to keep up with everything? (Though I must say, I think you do an excellent job!) I know you used to have people who frequently posted here, but moderation is a whole other level.

18 years ago #

Yes, I did ponder having moderators help keep the "forum spirit" healthy 24-hrs. So far it's still manageable for me, I'd say around an hour to a couple of hours per day – deleting spam, but also integrating discussions onto the blog page.

18 years ago #

I think that the forum works very well as it is at the moment. A spam report spam link could be useful to report the people who ocassionally use the forum to link repeatedly to irrelevant sites.

I don't think that log ins are necessary or would serve to achieve anything. Everyone would have the hassle of logging in (so less new users would post) and for what gain?

No one can impersonate me. Why would anyone want to impersonate me? or anyone for that matter? Obviously a spammer might but then the report spamming could deal with it.

Places that have logins soon build "extra features" which distract from the forum itself. I am talking signatures, private messages and the like.

18 years ago #

{ also the forum is super fast at the moment. Extensively more MySQL queries to get more information about everyone could really slow it down }

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I want my person rank to be 10 again! What's up with that?

18 years ago #

<<David Hetfield was PR 10 now he is 9>>
i didnt have a person rank 10.. only 9 :(

18 years ago #

I think I am being penalised for posting too many posts in one thread (Writely, Da Vinci etc.).

Also Philipp have you just changed the code for the comment box? Tab now focussed the main input field when it used to skip over it.

18 years ago #

I dropped from 9 to 8!! :(

18 years ago #

Relax everyone, I'm occasionally simply adjusting the number of posts it takes to reach a certain PersonRank... no one is being penalized here :)
If you compare it to PageRank, a 9 is a pretty cool thing to have :)

> Also Philipp have you just changed the code for the comment box?

No... I didn't...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've heard that there's going to be another update of the PersonRank algorithm soon. I think we should call it "BigMomma" or something... ;-)

18 years ago #

lol
just like Google's BigDaddy?

nice thinking.. :)

18 years ago #

hey...
my personrank was 9.. now its 8!!
whats going on philipp?!

18 years ago #

:-) uh.. oh.. David... Looks like BigMomma must be true..... :-P

18 years ago #

lollll..
probably.. yeah.. ;)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!