Google Blogoscoped

Forum

EU website - bad web design

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 25, 2006
18 years ago2,982 views

on digg today there was a mention of the EU Commission dropping software patents.

I've blogged about the incredibly poor design of the EU parliament web site here:

http://www.justinflavin.com/item/306/European-Union---bad-web-design

As an EU citizen, I find EU websites to be overtly complex, non-transparent, and generally – badly designed.

i wonder if Philip or others would care to comment?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I am not sure-- but I do find some of the .eu sites very heavy.. they are not light weight. Its difficult to find information, espeically when I am doing research for factiods and /or fact checking..

I remember that I did search on a site and got results in another language.. even though I had chosen en!!

18 years ago #

if you have a look at this page
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/omk/sipade3?PUBREF=-//EP//TEXT+WQ+P-2006-1625+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN&L=EN&LEVEL=2&NAV=S&LSTDOC=Y

note how the "answer" is a word document, even though its just all text.

the URL construction is very bad as well – it doesnt give any hints as to the content of the page – thereby making it very difficult to find via Google.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Word on a website is a *very* bad decision. I don't even open most Words online/ attached to emails (I don't know enough about Word macro-scripting to know if it's safe).

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You can always deactivate macros when you open a document.

18 years ago #

yeah – but the whole reason why Tim Berners Lee invented HTML in the first place was to get away from closed document formats.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Word on a website is a *very* bad decision.

I couldn't agree more. At the very least, they should have created a PDF.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!