Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Microsoft Maps makes a move against Google

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 25, 2006
18 years ago3,010 views

<<Microsoft Corp.’s Live Local online mapping feature lets users share maps and other location information directly from Live Messenger, the new version of Microsoft’s popular MSN Messenger.

Live Local is also available directly from Microsoft’s Outlook Calendar, an office computer desktop staple. Users must first download and install some freely-available software. >>

http://www.hotelmarketing.com/index.php/content/article/060524_microsoft_maps_makes_a_move_against_google/

i think Google should use this kind of feature.. maybe via Google Talk?!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Windows Live Local is turning out to be a very nice product. I do still pefer the way Google maps presents the data, it is much easier to read. But Windows Live Local has some very nice features. Hopefully we'll see Google Maps v2 come out soon, and knock the competition out of the park again.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

actually Livemaps is kicking butt ..lets face that fact :(-

18 years ago #

yeah..
but who copied from whom?!

and live maps arent that great..
theyre nice.. Google Maps are better.. despite MS's features

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The only things I think Google are doing better in their mapping offering is
Clarity of maps
Simplicity (Though this is true of most Google products)
Speed (just)
Ease of use
Easy to implement API

everything else is Microsofts I guess

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Live Locals zooming is very impressive. I would love to that implmented on Google Maps. What features do you think Google Maps should have?

18 years ago #

same as MS's..
Zooming and stuff...
hey,
what about live mapping? i mean that you can see lets say... new yourk.. just live.. via webcam..
just like in Google Earth!
that could be cool..
they can make a different section of live mapping..

what do you think of that?

18 years ago #

New York* :)
hehe..

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think that Google should lease out Sat and make maps as truel "live" like in near real time... that would be the killer mashup!!

I agree with DPon these three, without the API, Gmaps would not have gained traction ~~

Speed (just)
Ease of use
Easy to implement API

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The Google founders are into their space stuff in a big way. Maybe we'll see some Google satellites soon. They could give free worldwide broadband access, take amazing pictures of the earth, take pictures of space and map that too, collect weather data, global warming issues. Would be amazing if they had a group of satellites continuously updating all this info.

As cool as real time would be (and I would love to see it), would they run into all kinds of trouble? Invasion of privacy etc. They are having enough trouble with data that is 2/3 years old.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

DP, they are still leasing out Sat time for upgrades ..correct ??

so whats the imvasion and privacy issue there ?? The privacy issue whould be what information is "mashed up" onto the "live maps"!! if it gets too personal then the company that provides the data/information will be at risk--not google.. if a framework of NRT is established....then there so soo much more addition value that can enginered

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"I think that Google should lease out Sat and make maps as true"

well Sergey *is* Russian, and the Russian space agency is always strapped for cash.

i would guess that Google sat would be ultra minature – low payload means you can launch loads of them.

a google "mesh" of sats orbiting the earth.

18 years ago #

<<Maybe we'll see some Google satellites soon>>

Google (when theyve launched Google Earth) bought nVIDIA's technology for 200,000 $ i think..
which means that Google has their own Satellites..

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

nVIDIA is a grpahics company. Nothing to do with satellites. And Google hasn't brought anything to do with nVIDIA, they just support their video cards in Google Earth. Where did you hear this David?

18 years ago #

ive read this in an article a year ago.. (July 10th 2005)
when Google Earth was launched..
im not making that up..
thats what the article said..
Google bought nVIDIA's technology for 200,000 $.. something like that..

after 15 min of searching.. ive found the artilce (yeah im a Google freak)
and it says the following:
"Google has announced recently about launching its new product ; Google Earth. a 3D geographic program that can map the entire earth using satellite pictures.
the program (Google Earth) is based on 'Keyhole's technology and was originaly developed by nVIDIA under the name: 'Earth Viewer'. Google bought this technology on october 04 and now offering it to the public."

ok, so nVIDIA's satellites hasnt been bought by Google.. but its technology (or Keyhole technology) has been bought by Google..

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!