Google Blogoscoped

Forum

WHY are some KIDs EXTREMELY Gifted?

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, May 28, 2006
18 years ago2,704 views

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5009656.stm

Interesting article – brings back so many memories of pros and cons being exceptional at an extremely young age,

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

what I hate, is at least all schools I know of, hold mentally gifted children back and are pushing the physically gifted ones.
A child genus these days can't graduate collage at thirteen. for one, they are not allowed to "skip grades" anymore because they will be "socially immature" I can't even have "my four year old" start kindergarten because his birthday was a week after the "cut off date". forget the fact that he can read on his own, can count to a thousand and already has a decent grasp on basic addition, subtraction multiplication and division. (this is a fictitious child, but we already checked into this for our children and it is "not an option")

Tiki [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i use quotes a lot too. Lol

I duno, technically, some people ARE naturally gifted, but not recognized until they show themselves. Who knows?

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You'd be SHOCKED at the age or who REALLY created
Search-Engines-Web.com

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Who did? We wanna hear the whole story...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I was in a school where we had all kinds of students, from those with heavy learning problems to the gifted kids. A school that unites Germany's usually 3 separate schools (it's called Gesamtschule and integrates Hauptschule, Realschule and Gymnasium). I was good at some stuff and bad at others, but I didn't like that school (I was bored when I was good at something, and when it was too tough for me I didn't learn more either), though that was probably mainly because traditional schools feel too much like students are jailed, as opposed to letting free their own natural curiosity at that age. I don't know what my school would have done to a genius kid, but I'm afraid it would have started to get bad grades – constant boredom leads to rebellion leads to worse grades. In retrospect I'm happy for whatever rebellion it triggered in me at the age of 16...

And yes, SEW.com tell us a bit more about yourself...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yes, SEW.com.. wheres your story ?? We all ears!! :)-

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!