Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Do you use Google Notebook and how?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 30, 2006
18 years ago3,500 views

I've just experimented with it, but don't see a real value in it. Did you? Please help me to make this tool more useful...

Razi Shaban [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I use it for bookmarks, becuase i work on several computers... i can provide notes with the links, making notebook very useful. But besides notes for myself, i really dont use it for its intended purpose (a notebook for researchers to collect information and collaborate)

justinf [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i dont use it either.
i just have a note taking directory with lots of note text files. i just rsync it between my various (linux) computers. then , if i want to search for something a simple "grep" usually suffices.

its just faster , and more convienient for me to just do a

pico somenotes.txt

from the command line.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I stopped using it after a day or so of testing. I keep to my temp.txt and also don't like too many icons in my Firefox...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have found no value behind it... I have yet to un-intall it!!

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i used it like the first day or two.. but that's about it...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<< I stopped using it after a day or so of testing. I keep to my temp.txt and also don't like too many icons in my Firefox...

Google will integrate it into the Toolbar. I think the extension is not that important, because the main action is in the full view of the notebook.

I uninstalled it too. And I also disabled Gmail Manager extension, because it has too many memory leaks. Now my Firefox works like a breeze.

And something else, if you don't use an extension too often just disable it instead of uninstalling.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I use it to plan for trips, collecting all the information into one place so i can read through it quickly. Also use it for web design projects, where i need to collect lots of different info about clients, links, images etc. It's a great tool.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I too only used it for... well testing it for a few minutes.... it all in all was an awkward interface and seemed to have too many bugs. (sorry Google)

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i dont use it either..
i dont think its that useful

Google has made so much buzz around it... but no one use it..
dont you think?!

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Apparently I'm in the minority, but I use it a fair bit. My current notebooks include:

1) Job search and related research. I'm looking for work and use a notebook to keep track of the kobs I've applied for and any research associated with the companies or technology involved.

2) Recipes. My girlfriend's keen on some couscous and lentil recipes, so I'm grabbing them and sticking them in a notebook.

3) Programming. I'm compiling useful code-snippits I previously had 'around the place' (including emails to myself).

4) Product research. Sony are releasing a micro PC (UX Micro PC) that looks very cool – Whenever something pops up on Engadget / Sony / Amazon etc. I grab it.

5) Company research. I keep track of previous employers and clients, so I now keep a notebook with links to news articles, job listings, etc. as theypop up.

To me, it's already a valuable tool – don't get me wrong, it could be improved, and hopefully it will be.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Everyone, thx for your input so far.

It seems like most of us have already given up (do we live on the fast lane?) or don't find the tool very usefull. Although I've read some interesting tips for using it. I'll leave it installed for now and maybe I'll find some interesting ways to use it myself.

Further feedback is welcome of course!

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Reto Meiers ideas above for notebook are great, but if you want to collect subject specific stuff , and put in one place online, just create another blog via blogger.com. thats what i've been doing.

here's my "learning spanish" blog – its basically my notes from Spanish evening classes from last year: http://sonbou.blogspot.com/

maybe other folks are doing the same kind of thing – subject specific blogs for notetaking?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!