Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google DHTML

Nathan Weinberg [PersonRank 8]

Tuesday, November 9, 2004
19 years ago

Hey Phillip, I've been playing around with the DHTML animation you made, where the letters follow each other around the screen. I was wondering: Is there any way to place two of these animations side by side, and is there a way to limit the space they travel to a specified area.

I love the code. I'm trying to use it as a logo.

Yannick Mückenhirn [PersonRank 7]

19 years ago #

Excellent Philipp!

Yannick Mückenhirn ® http://noticiasinteresantes.blogspot.com

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Thanks Nathan and Yannick!

Yes Nathan, it's easy to limit the individual letters to a specific area on the screen *however* they would then be seen "bumping" off the edges. To do this, you just need to create a single additional check along the lines of:

if x below 0 or x above 400 then
   invert speed (speed *= -1)

... and the same for "y". If there are more requests maybe I can bundle them with a new script to publish here. Maybe I should also give more explanations and a little tutorial how to alter the animation easily!

19 years ago #

Thanks a lot! I'm going to check the video now. Is it okay for anyone to use the animation for their sites?

19 years ago #

Well, I tried pasting the code in, and that didn't work, so I'm assuming my complete lack of knowledge about programming would be to blame. Where exactly should it go?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Yes, you can use the code whereever you want. It's free. I appreciate to get credit, of course.

You need to create a file with the extension "html". Sometimes Windows will hide the extension from you; in that case, open up Windows Explorer, and check "Show extenstions" from the options. Does it work now?

19 years ago #

Yes, I created it as HTML, and copied the code exactly as you did it in the movie, but the letters refuse to move. I did get the red box, though.

19 years ago #

Whew! I got it to work! I was typing [il] instead of [i1].

Thanks a lot for the help. Very cool seeing how you basically took my question and made ten minutes of your video all about it.

19 years ago #

For now, you can see the logo at http://insidegoogle.blogspot.com. I'd liek some feedback on whether or not it is annoying. Also, if anyone knows how to replace the word Google with either the letters in different colors or with the Google logo, let me know.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!