Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Weaver, aka Google M Scrapbook  (View post)

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 7, 2006
13 years ago6,328 views

Cool discovery Tony, ScrapBook weired name

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

got this message

The page you requested is invalid.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

You guessed Weaver? Nice!!

It really does sound like it is G Notebook. But who knows? M for mobile?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Got the same msg

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> You guessed Weaver? Nice!!

Tony has some automated "guesser" script, I suppose? :D

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> You guessed Weaver? Nice!!

>> Tony has some automated "guesser" script, I suppose?

Yep. My computer's pretty good at "guessing" these days. In fact, last night it "guessed" around 65,000 words... but only one returned something new!

;-)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

If when you say words you mean actual english words you may want to extend it to random letters too. Lets see if you can be Garett Rogers to identifying the next Google product launch.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

lol Very nice. :-)

The first thing I thought of was Dreamweaver. Sounds crazy but remember, Google wants more websites and webpages to exist. More websites mean a a lot of things to Google. More space for their ads because of adsense, more of a reliance on search, etc. Seems like that's why they made Google Page Creator.

I DEFINITELY could be wrong about this. lol Weaver -> Dreamweaver is admittedly a stretch.

sasha.kunis@gmail.com [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

Why don't they work on improving their existing (and crap) products before they release any new ones? Google Talk especially needs work.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> If when you say words you mean actual english words you may want to extend it to random letters too.

I do indeed mean actual English words. It's funny you should suggest trying random letters though – I suggested that I might do that in an email to Philipp earlier today!

Iolaire McFadden [PersonRank 6]

13 years ago #

ScrapBook also sounds like websites to me, my wife ScrapBooks and it is all about laying out photos and text on a page with backgrounds. Sites like MySpace seem more like ScrapBooks than what we think of websites.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Sam:
> Lets see if you can be Garett Rogers to
> identifying the next Google product launch.

... or be the next Tony:

ruscoe.net/blog/2005/10/all-yo ...

:)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> Why don't they work on improving their
> existing (and crap) products before they release any new ones?

I suppose having a dozen Google teams work on new products doesn't disable them to have another dozen temas work on existing ones... not sure tho.

Iolaire McFadden [PersonRank 6]

13 years ago #

Now I just read the Picasa article, ScrapBook could well be the name for a online Picasa photo album?

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

possibly. scrapbook also infers collecting things – your photos, your favourite google videos, and your google music , all in one place.

it could well be an integration project.

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

great find Tony :)
i think the question is what "M" means...

Multi
Mobile
My
Mister

heh, what other "M" words can we think of?

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

m = media, perhaps?

fit in w/ picasa webpages... maybe one could compile one's own media and stuff from across the internet

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Hmm. I am betting on a dud (an old project – probably for Notebook) or some integration project as Justin said above.

We are still waiting on "Google Links" which was seen very breifly before the calendar launched.

No more Google Services until they get this page updated, or at least dump the border.

www.google.com/accounts/Manage ... (must be signed in).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

M for...
* Mac
* mock-up
* more
* mail
* message
* main
* member
* map
* music
* market, money
* medical
* magazine, meeting, marketing, mission...
* movies
* master
* memory, machine, max, maintenance
* military, museum, manual, mother, math...

(with a little help from my words database)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Hello new here,

Just a question, does Google pay Phillip to "discover" products. Or does it release it to him (for free), so that he can blog about it and well get money through the ads on this site.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Sohil, before asking a question like that, you'd better read the content of this great blog and you'd know the answer for sure...

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

"Just a question, does Google pay Phillip to "discover" products. Or does it release it to him (for free), so that he can blog about it and well get money through the ads on this site."

its more like – if you use google's products a lot , you tend to get the invites before other people, rather than anything monetary involved. i mean, if you use and test google's products a lot, you are therefore a better beta tester and can therefore give feedback on the products before they are released to the general public.

i noticed the same sort of thing happening in the early days of Gmail – the tech bloggers got invites before anyone else.

its a sensible , rollout , policy, in my view – get the more techie people to try out the products before joe public does.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Well, Justin, I'm just a regular visitor of this webspace. And because of that I could make an early registration for an automated invite. And because of that I've got an early invitation. Some things can be fairly simple in live...

Re:Kevin [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Wow, I didn't realize GNotebook could save png files as the description (highlight, add note)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Oh ok. Thanks. My question arised after reading the blog. I wondered how Phillip knew and predict (ed) every new Google product that airs.

For Example : Picasa Web Albums

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Sohil said:

> I wondered how Phillip knew and predict (ed) every
> new Google product that airs.

Quite often it's the members of this forum and other people who read this blog who give Philipp tips. There are plently people here who constantly watch Google's every move and sometimes Google makes a mistake and leaks information. That's when the cat really gets let out of the bag!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

BTW, they've now updated the service name to Weaver instead of M Scrapbook:


ruscoe.net/blog/uploads/google ...



Does this mean Google don't want people to know about M Scrapbook? Does this mean we're closer to a release? Does this mean anything at all?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Google Weaver? Sounds like Dreamweaver, another web page creation software, but as Google already has Google Page Creator... hmmm.

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

 
Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

 

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!