jon [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, June 21, 2006
18 years ago6,700 views

thats really crazy but i dont think it will really solve the problem

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I spoted this a long time ago

http://peterdawson.blogspot.com/2006/05/desktop-vs.html

Its based on what is called as the physics SDK. It works in 3D mode and the demo was based on flash. This technique was demo'ed at a BarCamp6!!

http://barcamp.org/TorCampDemoCamp6

Its a cool concept, note honeybrown is .ca spawned. The thesis has merit and certainly has real world value props!!

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It will solve the problem if you use a big screen with your fingers as a mouse.

That will be cool.

Jonathan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Really neat,

I can see this being useful to certain personalities and a nightmare for others. I really doubt it would 'speed up' handling information and files though.

Interesting read.

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

wheres the youtube link?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This project seems much more mature:
http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/

Offered as an open source project...

Brandy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

what is a 3D destop. Does it works???
I have not seen one before.

[Signature removed]

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It does work. I've used the looking glass os on demoes and it works fine but as long as it does not become mainstream there's no future for it I think. I think 3D desktop is something like an OO database. Logically the next step but the things we have now are usefull enough to do the things we want to do...

Rich [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The guy assumes one huge thing at the beginning of the presentation...that the concept of the GUI is flawed. The GUI is the SINGLE greatest achievement in the short history of computers! It was designed to organize your messy physical desktop so that you WOULDN'T have stuff all strewn about.

This program is one step backwards if you ask me. With extensions that you can download for free, you can organize your desktop in any way possible. Why would you choose to have a mess instead?

Marc [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It's great, but I see no filenames – they should look like icons for the ac – with a preview of the content – how do you know what files are what?

Adam [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Wont work. How the hell can you tell between any of the files? You can't. This is nice eye candy but the future is not to emulate a messy desk and have exploding piles.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

this just got slashdotted

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/22/126236&from=rss

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Looks pretty good. I'm unsure about it a little bit. Looks like it would take up a lot of hard drive space.

Kristee [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The problem seems to be the direct correlation with the way people "naturally" organize and their desktop iconic file paradigm. In my real world, while piles are not preferable, it's the rich data of the "stuff" that I'm looking at that lets me use location and appearance as organization markers. My pile of magazines are made of thick and thin, large format and small, and most importantly.. all have identifiable covers, with mastheads and cover designs which tell me what they are instantly. On this desktop, all my "magazines" would merely present me with a PDF icon (?). These icons (many of them only indicate media type) are quite uninformative. If all I want to do is make sure I have I my music pile together, then the crudeness of this interface works for about 1% of the kinds of sorting and retrievable needs I have. Files are an artifact of multiple applications... and frankly, my real desktop is result of having to live in a space that's never big enough, never clean or organized enough. The computer can do so much more than mirror that reality!

John Sturgeon [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Is somebody trying to revive parts of Microsoft Bob?

It Wont Work [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

There's a really basic reason why this program is a terrible idea – let me give it to you in the form of an example -

Let's say you're a musician who works digitally and has 3000-5000 sound samples (mp3, midi, and wav, primarily) and they are in a group (bass and drum beats, for example) Now, you have a program running like Acid or Fruityloops or Cakewalk (or maybe more than one of them) eating up MASSIVE system resources as they are wont to do – and you also have your desktop running – with piles of 3000 files, all of which look the same, all of which lack identifying marks like filenames, and each of which is a rectangular prism of at least 6 polygons (if not crumpled or folded) – not only can you not find your files which you need, you also can't run your programs because you have as many polygons, lighting vertices, and textures processing on-screen as if you were playing a full-screen, highly detailed 3d video game. Your processor cycles will lull down to a fantastically bad 1-5% efficiency, and you can no longer work. This would be the same case for, say, text documents, SERIOUS photo collections, music files for music afficianados, or anything else which a professional or hobbyist would have more than five of.

We need folders, not piles, because computers have more than 20-30 files on them – we need primarily 2d desktops, not 3d, because computers have more functions to perform than looking at the files on the system. People keep saying that they would be glad to have this to work with their photo collections or to organize their movie clips in editing programs – video and image editing programs are already some of the worst perpatrators of GUI resource devouring – this product could only make things worse.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!